- Oyo state government has declared that it would henceforth begin publishing names of the violators of COVID-19 guidelines
- The government made this known on Thursday, August 13, in Ibadan, through Prof Olanike Adeyemo
- Adeyemo said that keeping the identity of defaulters of COVID-19 protocols had led to widespread of the virus in the state
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The Oyo state government said it would consolidate on its self-policing strategy of containing the spread of COVID-19 by adopting another strategy tagged: “name and shame.”
The Guardian reports that community reporting would consolidate on the government's strategy of containing the spread of COVID-19 through the use of Geographical Information System (GIS).
Legit.ng gathered that the chairperson, Oyo state COVID-19 decontamination and containment committee, Prof Olanike Adeyemo, disclosed this at the containment stakeholders’ town hall meeting held at the Western Hall, Agodi Secretariat, Ibadan, on Thursday, August 13.
The government said the strategy would entail publicly naming corporate organisations, events, gatherings or individuals conducting themselves in violation of the stipulated protocols and guidelines of COVID-19.
Adeyemo, who stated the rationale behind the ‘shame-and-name’ strategy, said that keeping the identity of defaulters of COVID-19 protocols had led to widespread of the virus in the community.
She also noted that a mobile app named “citizens compliance reporter platform” had been launched for citizens to send pictures and videos of defaulters of the novel coronavirus.
“I want to say that it is not to witch-hunt. When you also see people who are doing the right thing, you should also report so that we can also commend them to say they are doing well and where they are not doing well, we will be able to say so with evidence to make sanctions,” Adeyemo said.
“All the stakeholders present are leaders in their own right and we want them to know that they need to exert that influence over their network with a view to ensuring compliance of all the preventive measures of COVID-19.
“Gov Seyi Makinde has done what he needs to do for the state. The responsibility now rests on us the citizens to do the needful. For a lot of banks with overwhelming crowds, the governor is not the one to fix their automated teller machines (ATMs) that are not functioning.
“If you go to most banks, you will find out that out of seven ATMs one would be working to serve the people. There is a need for stakeholders to be responsible and that is why we are here. We actually extracted a commitment from them.
“And not only that, we have a compliance reporter, which is a citizen’s app for self-policing. What that will do is that we will know who to hold responsible. All the stakeholders must do everything they have to do for us to be safe," she added.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Thursday, August 13, reported 373 new cases of coronavirus in Nigeria.
It was reported that while 34,309 have been discharged, 966 people have died due to the viral disease.
In another report, Governor Makinde sacked the state commissioner of works, infrastructure and transport, Raphael Afonja.
The news was broken by Taiwo Adisa, the chief press secretary to the governor.
Afonja had earlier announced on Monday that he spent 52 days treating COVID-19 in isolation on a radio programme.
Lagos school prepares isolation centre for Covid-19 emergency | - on Legit TV