- Twelve monarchs in Anambra state have been issued a suspension notice
- Governor Willie Obiano gave approval for the suspension through his commission for chieftaincy affairs
- The traditional rulers stepped on toes following their visit to Abuja without the state government's consent
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
About twelve traditional rulers in Anambra state have been handed suspension letter by Governor Willie Obiano over their alleged visit to Abuja to meet President Muhammadu Buhari.
The monarchs were handed suspension notice on Wednesday, August 12, with their punishment contained in a letter signed by Greg Obi, commissioner for local government, chieftaincy and community affairs.
According to Daily Sun, the traditional rulers numbering 12 had travelled to Abuja after being invited by a business mogul Prince Arthur Eze.
Eze, this publication gathers, has been in a running battle with Governor Obiano for a while and the aggression between the two men peaked on the monarchs.
In the suspension letter, the rulers were said to have travelled out of the state without the consent of the government.
Governor Obiano said he is exercising his power as contained in section 10(b) of the Anambra state traditional rulers Law 1981.
The affected rulers are Igwe Anthony Onyekwere (Owelle), Igwe AN Onwueme (Ikenga), Igwe Simon Ikechukwu Chidubem (Umumbo), Igwe SO Uche (Ezira), Igwe Emeka Ilouno (Ifiteduno) and Igwe Udoji (Eziagulu-Otu).
The others are Igwe Alex Edozieuno (Mkponando), Igwe Anthony Okonkwo (Alor), Igwe Chukwuma Bob Vincent Orji (Ezenifite), Igwe GBC Mbakwe (Abacha), Igwe Chijioka Nwankwo (Nawfia) and Igwe Nkeli Nelly (Igbariam).
The governor had earlier suspended Igwe Peter Uyanwa, the traditional ruler of Ukwulu community, for one year over alleged insubordination.
Meanwhile, Muhammadu Sanusi, dethroned emir of Kano state, has gone back to school after the former monarch was offered a fellowship programme at Oxford University.
The development was announced by the varsity's management committee of the African studies after the former emir's request was granted.
Sanusi will resume in the centre in October for the 2020-2021 academic year and use the period to write a book based on his experience as a banker, public analyst, economy expert and former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor.
Nigeria Latest News: Emir Sanusi Says Mosques Should be Converted into Schools | Legit TV