- There have been no reported cases of Nigerian casualties in Beirut, Lebanon, the federal government has said
- The ministry of foreign affairs made the disclosure in a statement through its spokesperson Ferdinand Nwonye
- According to the ministry, the Nigerian embassy has confirmed that there have been no reported cases of Nigerian nationals among the dead so far
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
There have been no reported cases of Nigerian casualties in Beirut, Lebanon following the deadly explosion that occurred in the country, the federal government has said.
The ministry of foreign affairs, in a statement through its spokesperson, Ferdinand Nwonye on Monday, August 10, said the Nigerian embassy has confirmed that there has been no reported cases of Nigerian nationals among the dead so far, This Day reported.
Nwonye commiserated with the government and people of Lebanon over the deadly explosion that occurred in the main Seaport in Beirut.
He said Nigeria was in solidarity with the nation of Lebanon and called for international support to facilitate the rebuilding process.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari has sent a condolence message to President Michel Aoun and the people of Lebanon over the massive explosions that rocked Beirut, the capital city.
The condolence message was contained in a statement issued by a presidential aide, Femi Adesina on Thursday, August 6.
Buhari, in the statement which was obtained by Legit.ng, expressed his sympathy for the tragedy which left 137 dead, over 5,000 wounded, and more than 300, 000 displaced.
He described the explosion as a tragedy of monumental proportions and prayed for God to rest the souls of the dead, comfort the grieving, and grant succour to the wounded and displaced.
In other news, Lebanon's government has resigned following the deadly blast that claimed the lives of many people in the country.
The announcement was made in a national TV address by the Prime Minister, Hassan Diab, on Monday, August 10, BBC reports.
In its version of the report, Al Jazeera states that the prime minister blamed endemic corruption for the devastating explosion.
Legit.ng gathers that Lebanon's president, Michel Aoun, has accepted Diab's resignation.
The president, however, asked the government to stay on in a caretaker capacity until a new cabinet was formed. BBC explained that the country's parliament will now have to decide on a new prime minister in the process of forming a new government.
Abule Ado fire: Lives lost, houses destroyed in Lagos explosion | Legit TV