Donald Trump whisked away from press briefing after shooting near White House

Donald Trump whisked away from press briefing after shooting near White House

- President Donald Trump was led out of a COVID-19 press briefing following a shooting incident

- The secret service clarified that the White House was not breached during the incident

- The Metropolitan Police department has started investigations into the shooting

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

U.S President Donald Trump was Monday, August 10, whisked away from a press briefing after a shooting incident near the White House.

The 45th US head of state was abruptly led out of the COVID-19 briefing by a secret service agent who whispered into his ear in the middle of a press conference.

The incident was confirmed by the US secret service in a statement on Tuesday, August 11.

"At approximately 5:53 pm today, a 51-year-old male approached a US secret service uniformed division officer who was standing at his post on the corner of the 17th street Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House complex. The suspect approached the officer and told him he had a weapon," part of the statement read.

Top facts about Marie Avgeropoulos: Background, career, love life
Donald Trump whisked away from press briefing after shooting near White House

Donald Trump gestures at a past press conference. Photo: Getty images.
Source: Getty Images

The secret service said the White House was not breached during the incident, adding it would conduct an internal review into the officer's actions and had invited the Metropolitan Police department to conduct an investigation.

After briefly being escorted to the oval office and the White House put on lockdown, Trump returned to continue with his press briefing minutes later, adding that he was not "shaken" by the incident.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Trump was briefly taken to an underground bunker in the White House after rioters gathered outside the premises housing the US president and his family.

A source in the White House disclosed that the president was in the underground bunker for a little under an hour before being brought upstairs.

A law enforcement source and another source familiar with the matter also told CNN that the first lady, Melania Trump and their son, Barron, were also taken to the bunker.

Nigerian striker scores 2 goals to help top European club stretch their unbeaten run to 9 games

In a related development, Trump on Thursday, August 6, issued executive orders that would ban the social media app TikTok and WeChat from operating in the country in 45 days if they are not sold by their Chinese-owned parent companies.

Trump made his move under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, a 1977 law that allows the U.S president to declare a national emergency in response to an “unusual and extraordinary threat,” allowing him to block transactions and seize assets.

Street Gist: Will Nigeria be a better place with Trump as president? | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel