APC denies sponsoring blockade of Edo assembly complex

APC denies sponsoring blockade of Edo assembly complex

- The APC has denied involvement in the police takeover of the Edo state House of Assembly on Thursday, August 6

- John Mayaki, the chairman of the party's media campaign council, said Governor Obaseki should explain who sponsored the blockade of the assembly

- The PDP had earlier accused the APC of sponsoring the assembly blockade

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo state has denied involvement in the police's takeover of the state's House of Assembly on Thursday, August 6.

The chairman of the APC Media Campaign Council in Edo, John Mayaki, said in a statement on Thursday that his party does not control the police, Channels TV reports.

Mayaki was reacting to the allegation by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that the APC was responsible for the siege.

Trouble for Rohr as big Super Eagles star listed among players to be sold at top EPL club
APC denies sponsoring blockade of Edo assembly complex

APC denies sponsoring blockade of Edo assembly complex. Photo credit: The Nation
Source: UGC

The APC chieftain, in turn, accused the Edo state government of carrying out several onslaughts against the constitutional independence of the state's legislature by attacking its members-elect and denying them representation.

Mayaki alleged that Governor Godwin Obaseki was responsible for a number of sieges on the Assembly complex, adding that he was in the best position to explain who sponsored the blockade of the assembly.

“It is a known fact that the outgoing governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki, has treated the House of Assembly, an independent and co-equal branch of government, as a mere extension of his office through the brutalisation of members-elect and the denial of representation to the majority of members,” he claimed.

“In Gestapo style, the outgoing governor hijacked a tiny minority and purportedly inaugurated them in the dead of the night.

“The sham inauguration was condemned and set aside by both arms of the National Assembly after their separate investigations revealed that the members, and indeed the clerk, were forced to participate in the illegality under threat to life.”

Anthony Joshua tells younger generation what they must do to their parents while still alive

Mayaki also denied the alleged involvement of the former national chairman of the APC, Adams Oshiomhole, in the incident.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said it may suspend the coming Edo and Ondo governorship elections if there is a breakdown of law and order.

Festus Okoye, the INEC national commissioner and chairman, information and voter education committee made the statement at a meeting in Abuja on Thursday, August 6.

The meeting which was attended by stakeholders deliberated on a number of issues, including preparations for the elections.

We'll isolate Wike in an isolation centre - Ganduje | Legit TV

Source: Legit Nigeria

Online view pixel