Fire destroys ECOWAS secretariat in Abuja

Fire destroys ECOWAS secretariat in Abuja

- Parts of ECOWAS building in Abuja was gutted by fire

- The inferno reportedly started on the night of Tuesday, August 4

- The flames were said to have put out by men of the Federal Fire Service

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

There was a fire outbreak at the accounts and finance department of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) secretariat, Asokoro, Abuja.

It was reported that the inferno occurred on the night of Tuesday, August 4.

However, journalists gathered that the fire was quenched by operatives of the Federal Fire Service (FFS) in a short time after it erupted.

Fire destroys ECOWAS secretariat in Abuja

ECOWAS secretariat in Abuja (Source: UGC)
Source: Facebook

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that what could have boomeranged into a tragedy was thankfully averted when a fire outbreak hit the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday, June 4.

N10 billion fraud allegation: IGP orders probe of Udom’s appointee

Mallam Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, confirming the fire incident described the situation as minor.

The presidential aide said the incident was caused by an electrical spark in the afternoon at a store near the State House Chapel in the Presidential Villa.

Aso Rock would have been razed to the ground had it not been for the timely intervention of vigilant members of staff on the premises, Shehu said.

He said that the minor fire incident was brought under control by vigilant staff using fire extinguishers, adding that there was no report of injury or damage.

“The incident, linked to an electrical spark, was immediately brought under control by alert staff using available fire extinguishers well ahead of the arrival of the Federal Fire Service trucks stationed just outside the premises.

Luckily, no injury or serious damage was recorded,” the presidential spokesman said.

9 Facts about Forbes under 30 Nigerian Obinwanne Okeke accused of $12m fraud

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Also, the director of publicity and voter education of the INEC, Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi, confirmed the incident on Friday, April 17.

Legit.ng gathered that he said the fire only affected the office of the director of the election and party monitoring in the building.

He said: ”Yes, there was a fire incident. Fortunately, we have a fire unit in the office. It was put out. Some equipment and correspondence were affected. But no sensitive material was affected.”

Abule Ado fire: Lives lost, houses destroyed in Lagos explosion | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Tags:
Online view pixel