- A court filing has suggested President Trump is under investigation for fraud
- The filing by District Attorney Cy Vance seeks to force an accounting firm to comply with a subpoena for eight years of Trump's personal and corporate tax returns
- Vance's investigation is believed to be examining hush money payments made by Trump's former fixer Michael Cohen during the 2016 election
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The president of the United States, Donald Trump, and his company are under investigation for "alleged bank and insurance fraud," a report by the New York Times states.
The newspaper said this was seen in a filing in federal court which seeks to force accounting firm, Mazars USA, to comply with a subpoena for eight years of Trump's personal and corporate tax returns.
In its report of the incident, Axios notes that the revelation comes less than a month after the Supreme Court paved the way for District Attorney Cy Vance's subpoena, ruling that presidents cannot be immune from investigation.
Vance's investigation is believed to be examining hush money payments made by Trump's former fixer Michael Cohen during the 2016 election.
Trump and his lawyers have denied any wrongdoing.
The filing was in response to a bid by Trump’s lawyers last week to block the subpoena, calling it “wildly overbroad” and “issued in bad faith.”
Vance said Trump’s attorneys were relying on a false assumption that the investigation was limited to hush-money payments, without specifying the focus of the probe.
The district attorney said in the filing that “undisputed” news reports about “possibly extensive and protracted criminal conduct at the Trump Organisation” made it clear there was a legal basis for the subpoena.
The Supreme Court did not order the tax documents to be handed over, and the ruling indicated the president could try to fight the subpoenas in lower courts.
Trump has fought the subpoena for nearly a year and his lawyers have vowed to continue the battle in lower courts.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that President Trump had been labelled as the first racist US president.
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden gave this tag to the American president on Wednesday, July 22, while answering questions at a Service Employees International Union roundtable.
Biden was specifically asked to respond to Trump's calling of the coronavirus pandemic the “China virus.”
Biden said it was “absolutely sickening” how Trump “deals with people based on the colour of their skin, their national origin, where they’re from.”
“No sitting president’s ever done this. Never, never, never. No Republican president has done this. No Democratic president. We’ve had racists, and they’ve existed, and they’ve tried to get elected president. He’s the first one that has,” he added.
Coronavirus: The US govt gave me over 400k to stay at home - Nigerian in US | Legit TV