Baga: CSO demands probe into Boko Haram's attack on governor's convoy

Baga: CSO demands probe into Boko Haram's attack on governor's convoy

- The Nigerian military has been asked to launch an investigation into the recent attack on the convoy of the governor of Borno state

- The call was made to the military by the Coalition for Truth and Justice (CTJ)

- According to the coalition, a detailed investigation into the incident will clear the air on some conflicting reports about the attack

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

A civil society organisation, Coalition for Truth and Justice (CTJ), on Monday, August 3, called for an urgent probe into the alleged attack on the convoy of the Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum, by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.

The coalition urged the Nigerian military to investigate and make public, its findings on what transpired while the governor was on a trip to Monguno and Baga for the distribution of food to some Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).

Xenophobia: Top African football country cancels friendly match with South Africa

Charles Timothy, CTJ's national coordinator, in a statement, said conflicting reports suggest that there could be more to the incident which took place on Wednesday, July 29.

Also warning that such conflicting reports could undermine the efforts of the Nigerian military in the fight against terrorism ravaging the northeast, Timothy said there is a tendency for the general public to fall victim to the propaganda of the Boko Haram terrorist group.

"We firmly hold the opinion that the hierarchy of the Nigerian military must as a matter of necessity and urgency commence a detailed investigation into the incident to put issues in proper perspectives, else at the risk of rumour merchants capitalising on the already fragile situation to twist the narrative," Timothy said.

Baga: CSO demands probe into Boko Haram's attack on governor's convoy

Governor Zulum with some IDPs in Monguno. Photo credit: Borno government
Source: Twitter

He also urged political authorities in the northeast to wake up to their responsibilities of curtailing the further spread of insurgency in the region.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that some yet to be identified gunmen launched an attack on the convoy of the Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum.

N10 billion fraud allegation: IGP orders probe of Udom’s appointee

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

The attack on the governor's convoy took place while he was on his way to distribute some relief materials to displaced persons in Baga and Monguno.

Also, governors in Nigeria have condemned the attack on Zulum's convoy.

The governors under the Nigerian Governors' Forum called collaborations among stakeholders with an aim to end the insurgency in Nigeria.

Soldiers have killed 92 Boko Haram members in the past week - Major General Enenche | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel