Antonio Conte blasts Inter bosses, claiming they did little to protect his players

Antonio Conte blasts Inter bosses, claiming they did little to protect his players

- Antonio Conte slams Inter Milan chiefs despite finishing second on the log

- The Nerazzurri beat Atalanta in their last game of the season to wrap up the season just one point behind Juventus

- Conte says the owners of the club did very little to protect his players against critics when results weren't going their way

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Inter Milan manager Antonio Conte has launched an attack against his employers after finishing just one point behind Juventus in his first season at the club.

Two first-half goals from Danilo D'Ambrosio and Ashley Young ensured the Nerazzurri wrapped up the 2019-20 season with a 2-0 win.

But despite finishing second on the log, Conte was not happy after claiming the club chiefs did not do enough to protect the team from heavy criticisms when results were bad

Ronaldo Delima tops list of highest goalscorers at 21 for club and country (see where Messi and Ronaldo are)

He told Sky Sport Italia: "It has been a tough year on a personal level, very tough. I don't think the players saw their work recognised, I don't think I saw my work recognised and we all received very little protection from the club.

"We have to grow and improve in all areas, including off the field, and a big club should protect its players more. We'll discuss it all at the end of the season, I have to meet the president (Steven Zhang) and he's in China right now."

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone'

While praising his players for growing a thick skin against unwanted criticisms, Conte referenced Luciano Spalletti's interview in 2017, saying three years after, nothing has changed with the club.

Antonio Conte blasts Inter bosses, claiming they did little to protect his players

Antonio Conte dishing instructions to Inter Milan players earlier in the season - Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

"It was very, very intense this year, difficult, and the lads did well to isolate ourselves and create unity within us, despite the difficulties. I don't like people who get on the bandwagon and I saw a lot of that with Inter this year.

Former Real Madrid star reveals how Mourinho almost 'killed' Ronaldo despite scoring a hat-trick

"We had to eat dung for months and got zero protection. My problem is that I have a vision, I see the path we have to take and I know what we need to do.

"I saw the other day an interview that Luciano Spalletti gave at Inter in 2017. We're now in 2020 and nothing has changed.

"I can be a lightning rod for the first year, but if you don't learn and keep making the same mistakes, then that's just crazy.

"I want to be absolutely clear that I am not talking about the transfer market or the players. I want that to be very clear."

However, it is not doom and gloom for Inter this season as they still stand a chance to contend for the Europa League title.

They will face Getafe in the last 16 of the Europa League on August 5 with the competition taking place in Germany.

Champions League defending champions Liverpool stunned by Napoli

Legit.ng earlier reported that Inter Milan are planning to land Barcelona legend Lionel Messi in a staggering €260 million (£235 million) deal if he chooses to leave the La Liga club next summer.

The 33-year-old has not signed a new deal with the Catalan side despite his current contract expiring next June.

His failure to sign an extension with less than a year left, coupled with the multiple bust-ups he has had with his employers has fueled his exit from Camp Nou.

Rashidi Yekini is irreplaceable in Super Eagles – Abdul Sule | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel