- FG said that Nigerian scholarship students have turned beggars in the UK
- The chairman of NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, made this known on Tuesday, July 27
- Dabiri-Erewa urged the NDDC to urgently remit the allowances, tuition and other incentives of the affected students
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the chairman/chief executive officer of the Nigerians in the Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), has lamented that some Nigerian students on scholarships in the United Kingdom have turned beggars because of neglect by their sponsors.
Nigerian Tribune reports that she, therefore, appealed to the sponsor, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) to urgently remit the allowances, tuition and other incentives of such students.
Legit.ng gathered that she said this would guarantee their stay and education in the country.
In a statement on Tuesday, July 27, NIDCOM made reference to a letter written to the minister of the Niger Delta, Senator Godswill Akpabio, dated June 18, 2020, NIDC/001/20/1, drawing attention to the plight of the students, urging the NDDC who are directly responsible for the students’ scholarships to pay.
She added that the commission counts on the minister’s assurances that all outstanding payments to affected students would be made, adding that there have been persistent calls by the students for urgent intervention.
While the deadline for payment of the fees of some of the students has expired or about to expire, non-payment of their allowances have turned many of them to virtually become beggars.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that following the lockdown and the rising cases of coronavirus pandemic all over the world, some Nigerians in European countries like France were stranded.
This development was revealed on Sunday, July 26, by Dabiri-Erewa on Twitter. She, however, said that the set of Nigerians would leave Paris, the capital of France on Sunday.
The NIDCOM's boss stated that the citizens will arrive at their home country at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport in Abuja.
In another report, the Nigerian government confirmed the evacuation of 362 citizens stranded in the northern African country of Egypt and Asian country India.
The confirmation was made late on Friday, June 12, by the minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama.
The minister posted the information on his verified Twitter handle. In the breakdown, he said 102 Nigerians were brought back home from Egypt and another 260 from India.
Covid-19: Lagos school gives students radios to study from home | - on Legit TV