- Some N-Power beneficiaries have expressed their displeasure over their disengagement from the scheme
- The aggrieved beneficiaries are demanding that they are paid N600,000 as exit grant by the federal government
- However, the ministry of humanitarian affairs noted the demands were not part off the agreement the beneficiaries signed
Following their disengagement from N-Power, beneficiaries from batches A and B on Friday, July 24, protested in a rally at the National Assembly in Abuja.
According to Daily Trust, the aggrieved beneficiaries are asking the federal government pay them a grant of N600,000 each and jobs for all 500,000 beneficiaries.
The ministry of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development in reaction to the protest said what the N-Power beneficiaries were demanding for was not part of the agreement they signed with the government.
Rhoda Ishaku Iliya, the deputy director of the ministry, in a statement, went on to note that the agreement of engagement they signed clearly explained that after two years they would be disengaged.
She also added that the federal government can't afford the N300 billion exit grant they are asking and continue paying exited beneficiaries stipends indefinitely
“It is noteworthy to state that the government has expended hundreds of billions to N-POWER beneficiaries during the last four years and is liaising with the office of the Accountant General of the Federation, which is responsible for the payment of their stipends, to ensure that any outstanding legitimate claim is settled.
“The government cannot afford to continue to pay the exited N-POWER beneficiaries stipends indefinitely, more so that the process of engagement of new beneficiaries has already begun,” the statement said.
Recall that some volunteers of the scheme under the aegis of unpaid N-Power beneficiaries threatened nationwide protest.
Legit.ng's regional reporter in Osun state, Ibrahim Akinola, reports that the volunteers took what they called ''warning protest" to Nigeria's Senate recently to serve as a preface to the planned nationwide protests if their grievances are not properly addressed.
This was to register their displeasure with the way the National Social Investment Programme (NSIP) is being run under the leadership of the minister of humanitarian affairs and disaster management.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, revealed the number of applicants that have visited the N-Power online portal.
Sadiya disclosed on her Twitter page that just 16 days after opening the portal, not less than 4.48 million persons have indicated interest to be employees on the platform.
The minister added that only 400,000 applicants will be absorbed into the third batch of the National Social Investment Scheme (NSIP) at the end of the recruitment exercise.
In a related development, the Ministry of Information and Culture has explained why over 14,000 beneficiaries of the N-Power scheme are yet to be paid by the federal government.
On its Twitter page on Thursday, July 23, the ministry said that it has not at any time failed to process, approve and remit necessary information for payments to the Office Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF).
The ministry also noted that it is the duty of the OAGF to credit the various accounts of the beneficiaries.
N-Power Project: I Graduated in 2005 and Have Been Unemployed Before N-Power Fixed Me Up Legit TV