- Over 20 persons reportedly lost their lives to a fire incident in Delta state while several were injured
- The fire was as a result of an explosion of a tanker laden with petroleum product
- An eyewitness said several cars were also burned
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Tragedy struck in Delta state on Wednesday, July 22, as a tanker laden with petroleum product exploded around Koko Junction section of the Benin/Saepele Expressway in Ethiope LGA.
The ugly incident claimed the lives of at least 20 persons who were reportedly burnt to death, according to a report by Daily Trust.
Citing sources whose names were not revealed, the newspaper stated that the incident occurred around 11am.
Legit.ng gathers that the incident also left several vehicles on the road trapped and burnt. An eyewitness said she was headed to Sapele from Benin when the Nissan Quest car she drove with other passengers was locked down in the heavy gridlock the incident precipitated on the road.
“The explosion was very devastating, many people were trapped in several vehicles in the inferno.
“At least, 10 passenger vehicles were burnt and no fewer than 20 charred bodies were removed from the vehicles.
"We were lucky because we got there when firefighters were already battling the fire.
“Many people were trapped inside the vehicles and it was difficult to rescue them because the fire was really huge,” the eyewitness said.
The officials of Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC) were reportedly battling the fire and rescuing victims as of 3pm.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that what could have boomeranged into tragedy was thankfully averted when a fire outbreak hit the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday, June 4.
Mallam Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, confirming the fire incident described the situation as minor.
Xenophobia: Nigerians are worse than South Africans - Comedian Hyenana reacts to ongoing protest in Nigeria
The presidential aide said the incident was caused by an electrical spark in the afternoon at a store near the State House Chapel in the Presidential Villa.
Aso Rock would have been razed to the ground had it not been for the timely intervention of vigilant members of staff on the premises, Shehu said.
He said that the minor fire incident was brought under control by vigilant staff using fire extinguishers, adding that there was no report of injury or damage.
“The incident, linked to an electrical spark, was immediately brought under control by alert staff using available fire extinguishers well ahead of the arrival of the Federal Fire Service trucks stationed just outside the premises. Luckily, no injury or serious damage was recorded,” the presidential spokesman said.
Abule Ado fire: Lives lost, houses destroyed in Lagos explosion | - on Legit TV