FG to conduct COVID-19 tests for five million farmers, says minister

FG to conduct COVID-19 tests for five million farmers, says minister

- There are plans to carry out COVID-19 tests for five million Nigerian farmers

- This was disclosed by the minister of agriculture and rural development, Sabo Nanono

- Interestingly, Nigeria has not tested up to 300,000 people since March

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News

The federal government has announced plans to carry out COVID-19 tests for five million Nigerian farmers across the country.

This was disclosed by the minister of agriculture and rural development, Sabo Nanono, on Tuesday, July 21.

Nanono made the comment while delivering a keynote speech during a virtual meeting with major players in the sector.

FG to conduct COVID-19 tests for five million farmers, says minister

Nigerian farmers are key drivers of the nation's economy. Photo credit: Agronewsng.com
Source: UGC

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

“I am happy to announce that plans are in place to test five million Nigerian farmers as part of Mr President’s mandate for famine inhibiting food production,” he said.

Coronavirus: Traders reveal hike in cost of food items as Easter beckons

Nigeria has so far tested less than 300,000 people for COVID-19 since February when it had its index case.

An earlier announcement by the health minister, Dr Osagie Ehanire, for the country to test two million people in three months has not been achieved.

Meanwhile, minister of police affairs, Muhammad Dingyadi has gone into self-isolation as one of the guidelines for preventing the spread of COVID-19.

The minister took the precautionary step after meeting his foreign affairs counterpart, Geoffrey Onyeama, who has since tested positive to COVID-19.

Onyeama revealed that he has tested positive to COVID-19 via his Twitter handle on Sunday, July 19.

According to him, he had a throat irritation and he decided to get tested for the fourth time and it came back positive.

In a related development, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) says 24 per cent of households in Nigeria do not have sufficient soap to wash hands to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Nigerian striker scores 2 goals to help top European club stretch their unbeaten run to 9 games

The NBS stated this in a report released on Tuesday, July 14, saying seven per cent of households reported insufficient water for washing hands.

Last month, a report by the NBS revealed that 42 per cent of hitherto employed Nigerians lost their jobs due to the adverse impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The report which was published on Friday, June 5 was titled COVID-19 National Longitudinal Phone Survey (COVID-19 NLPS).

Doctors share their experience working in a Lagos isolation centre | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel