- FG has announced the closure of Third Mainland bridge
- The minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, said the bridge would be closed for repair on Friday, July 24
- Fashola noted that the maintenance work would last from July 2020 to January 2021
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The federal government has said that the busy Lagos Third Mainland Bridge would be shut for scheduled maintenance by the federal ministry of works.
The Nation reports that the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, said maintenance of the busiest bridge in the country was to replace damaged components for better motoring experience.
Legit.ng gathered that the minister noted that the maintenance work would last from July 2020 to January 2021.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Federal Executive Council (FEC) approved projects worth a total of N109,187,264,000 for the ministry of works and housing and the ministry of education.
It was reported that the projects were approved during the FEC meeting held on Wednesday, July 8. The meeting was presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari as two ministers, Babatunde Fashola and Adamu Adamu presented three memoranda.
Fashola said his ministry submitted two memoranda for projects estimated to cost a total of N108.443Bn.
The FEC approved an augmentation of an existing contract by N25 billion for the completion of the Enugu – Lokponta section of the Enugu – Port Harcourt highway.
Also, education minister Adamu said FEC approved an agreement between the Kaduna Polytechnic (KADPOLY) and an investor to renovate 18 blocks of student hostels.
The contract, which is a 15-year concession at the cost of N744,264 million, is under a Renovate Operate, Maintain and Transfer (ROMT) arrangement.
In another report, the minister of transportation, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, on Saturday, July 18, announced that the Itakpe/Warri rail line has been completed and is ready for commissioning.
Amaechi, widely regarded as the best minister in the Buhari administration, says plans are already in place to ensure the project is commissioned soon by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The 55-year old minister had led journalists, transport ministry officials, senior officials of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) and other stakeholders on an inspection of the site.
An excited Amaechi heaped praises on the contractors - China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) and Julius Berger Nigeria Plc for what he says is a job well done.
The project was started by the military regime of General Ibrahim Babangida. It was abandoned after 254 kilometres out of 276 kilometres had been built.
It was designed to be a cargo rail line transporting steel from Ajaokuta Steel Company to the Warri Port. Subsequent governments after the Babangida regime abandoned the facility as the Ajaokuta Steel Company had gone moribund.
"I am committed to a review of the minimum wage" and 5 other things Buhari said at inauguration of advisory committee
Fashola EXCLUSIVE Interview: How Nigeria Can Have Uninterrupted Power Supply | - on Legit TV
Source: Legit Newspaper