- The FIRS building in Katsina has been gutted by fire
- The building, according to media reports, was recently constructed
- Officials of the state's fire service were seen at the scene battling with the flames
The recently constructed structure for the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS)'s branch in Katsina was on Monday, July 20, damaged by a fire outbreak.
According to The Nation, some personnel of state's fire service were seen battling with the flames at the FIRS complex which is close to Muhammadu Dikko Stadium.
Mallam Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, confirming the fire incident described the situation as minor.
The presidential aide said the incident was caused by an electrical spark in the afternoon at a store near the State House Chapel in the Presidential Villa.
Aso Rock would have been razed to the ground had it not been for the timely intervention of vigilant members of staff on the premises, Shehu said.
He said that the minor fire incident was brought under control by vigilant staff using fire extinguishers, adding that there was no report of injury or damage.
“The incident, linked to an electrical spark, was immediately brought under control by alert staff using available fire extinguishers well ahead of the arrival of the Federal Fire Service trucks stationed just outside the premises. Luckily, no injury or serious damage was recorded,” the presidential spokesman said.
Also, Legit.ng reported that a section of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) complex in Abuja had been gutted by fire.
The director of publicity and voter education of the INEC, Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi, confirmed the incident on Friday, April 17.
Legit.ng gathered that he said the fire only affected the office of the director of the election and party monitoring in the building.
He said: ”Yes, there was a fire incident. Fortunately, we have a fire unit in the office. It was put out. Some equipment and correspondence were affected. But no sensitive material was affected.”