Benue Assembly shuts down as speaker contracts coronavirus

Benue Assembly shuts down as speaker contracts coronavirus

- The Benue state House of Assembly has been shut down

- The House was shut down after it was confirmed that the speaker, Titus Uba, has tested positive for coronavirus

- Another member of the House, Tertsea Gbiseh, the chairman of the House committee on information and orientation also tested positive for the pandemic

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see News on your Facebook News Feed!

Plenary and other activities at the Benue House of Assembly have been shut down following news of the coronavirus status of the speaker of the legislative body, Titus Uba.

Tertsea Gbiseh, the chairman of the House committee on information and orientation, has also been confirmed positive for the coronavirus, while the results of other members of the house are yet to be released.

Following this development, Uba ordered the immediate closure of the Assembly complex and directed fumigation of the premises, Daily Trust reports.

Read also

Minimum wage: FG, labour unions to meet Monday, September 16

Benue Assembly shuts down as speaker contract coronavirus
Benue state House of Assembly (Source: UGC)
Source: Depositphotos

A statement by Gbiseh with respect to the directive read: “The state legislature will resume plenary when the speaker determines it is safe to do so under advisement from relevant health workers.

“In the meantime, all important communications will be relayed to Honorable Members and members of staff via virtual meetings."

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Gbiseh also said that the house will liaise with the NCDC to confirm the health status of other members and staff and report the same in due time.

Meanwhile, reported that as coronavirus continues to spread across Nigeria, the National Assembly complex had again been shut down over fears of suspected COVID-19 cases.

A circular signed and released by a deputy director in the National Assembly, Titus Jatau, said the complex would be shut for two days for fumigation.

Read also

Kogi guber: Huge number of APC aspirants is due to my efforts, says Gov Bello

All staff of the National Assembly were subsequently asked to stay away during the period and resume work on Monday, June 22.

The closure had raised suspicion over the spread of COVID-19 in the National Assembly.

Сoronavirus: 6 outrageous lies about the disease | - on Legit TV


Online view pixel