- One person has reportedly died as a building collapsed in Lagos
- Six other persons were rescued alive by LASEMA
- LASEMA's director-general, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed the incident
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
One person was confirmed dead while six others were rescued alive on Saturday, July 11, underneath the rubbles of a three-storey building which collapsed on Freeman Street, Lagos Island in Lagos state.
Vanguard reports that the incident occurred at about 4.05 am on Saturday, July 11, as the building was said to have suffered total collapse leaving its occupants trapped as they were fast asleep.
Legit.ng gathered that the immediate neighbours of the victims were said to have alerted emergency responders about the incident but a male victim who could not withstand the situation was later pronounced dead.
Six other occupants of the building were, however, rescued alive and medical treatment was administered on them by Lagos State Ambulance Services (LASSMBUS), while the casualty was deposited at a morgue.
The newspaper noted that search and rescue operation was ongoing at the scene by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Lagos state ministry of physical planning, Nigeria Police and other relevant agencies.
LASEMA director-general, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed the incident, saying investigations would be conducted to unravel the cause of the incident.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that a tragedy was averted in Lagos on Saturday, May 29, as a fire outbreak hit Olaleye market in Shomolu area of the state, leaving owners of shops and stalls in palpable panic.
The fire, which started around 3:30 am, engulfed shops and destroyed goods worth billions of naira.
It took the combined efforts of LASEMA and the Federal Fire Service to prevent what could have been a massive blow on the state economy as the fire was totally curtailed.
The cause of the fire outbreak could not be ascertained but LASEMA spokesperson, Nosa Okunbor, through a statement said it took men of the service more than two hours to bring the raging fire under control.
Okubor said the agency received a distress call from the control room about the incident and set the ball on the move, adding that the fire was curtailed at exactly 6 am.
He further explained that no lives were lost to the incident as the fire was prevented from hitting the nearby residential area, though goods worthy billion were damaged.
Lagos Fire: This outbreak has now become a yearly 'sacrifice' - traders lament| - on Legit TV
Source: Legit Nigeria