- Two men of the Nigerian military troops have been killed by suspected Boko Haram members
- The ambush attack was carried out on Damboa/Maiduguri road in Borno state
- However, 17 insurgents were neutralized in the attack that also left several wounded
The fight against insecurity was partly punctured as two men of the Nigerian military troops were killed and four others of the 25 Task Force Brigade injured during a suspected ambush attack in Borno state.
Major General John Enenche, the coordinator of Defence Media Operations (DMO) who confirmed this in a statement issued on Wednesday, July 8, said the attack which occurred on Tuesday, July 7, according to Channels TV.
According to Enenche, the troops in conjunction with elements of Sector 2 Special Forces while on clearance operations along Damboa -Maiduguri Road, made contact with a Boko Haram/Islamic State’s West Africa Province criminals’ ambush team along their axis of advance.
He went on to note that at least 17 terrorists were neutralized in the encounter while several others were believed to have been wounded. The gallant troops were able to recover a cache of arms and ammunition.
He said: "Regrettably, two valiant soldiers paid the supreme price while four others were wounded in action. However, the wounded in action soldiers have been evacuated to a military medical facility and currently responding positively to treatment."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that a Nigerian Army officer, Captain GSM Abubakar, with identification number N/13600 was on Sunday, July 5, attacked and killed by some gunmen along the Okene-Lokoja road.
Late Abubakar was on his way to the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, in Jaji, Kaduna from Lagos with his wife and mother when he was shot dead by the bandits.
After confirming that the officer was dead, the culprits who are now in hiding abducted his wife and mother. Other officers travelling alongside Abubakar narrowly escaped the attack by maneuvring their ways and speeding away from the scene.
In a related development, hours after Boko Haram insurgents killed a lot of villagers in Gubio, Borno, troops of the Nigerian Army on Wednesday, June 10, retaliated in the offensive around Sambisa forest.
Apart from the fact that soldiers of Operation Lafiya Dole neutralised many terrorists in the state, the insurgents' hideout in the Kacha Korle area of the ill-fated forest was destroyed.
This victory for the military was confirmed by the coordinator of the Defence media operations.
Buhari inducts combat helicopters to fight insurgency, says he won’t fail Nigerians | - on Legit TV