- COVID-19 positive Nigerians with no symptoms have been urged not to go to treatment centres, but cooperate with health officials on relevant instructions
- Nigeria's health minister, Dr Ehanire, made the appeal that the daily briefing of the presidential task force on Monday, 6th July
- Ehanire added that plans are underway to boost overall COVID-19 sample collections across the country
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News!
If you are COVID-19 positive, but show no symptoms, do not go to treatment centres, Nigeria's health minister Dr Osagie Ehanire has appealed to citizens.
The minister urged Nigerians, especially those who have contracted the virus, to cooperate with health officials and understand that the measures taken are for the protection and is in the interest of the public.
He disclosed this at the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 Press Briefing held on Monday, 6th July, 2020, according to a statement signed by the ministry's spokesperson Olujimi Oyetomi.
Ehanire also reminded Nigerians that testing for COVID-19 and treatment in government-run facilities are totally free and urged them to report anyone who demanded payment, for necessary action.
The minister also disclosed that plans are underway to boost overall COVID-19 sample collection, by preparing all eligible public and private hospitals nationwide to become collection sites.
“If logistics around sample collection and delivery to test sites are better organized, a lot more will be achieved,” he stated.
Ehanire added that a 17-member team has been sent to Cross River state to engage with the government in setting up their COVID-19 response and aligning it with the national response.
Cross River just confirmed its first set of COVID-19 cases on Monday night, July 6. So far the state has 5 confirmed cases out of which one is active, three have recovered while one person has died.
“We have also called on the Cross River State National Medical Association (NMA), to suspend their strike action and receive the Ministry’s delegation," Ehanire added.
The minister said there also plans to beef up security at the Federal Medical Center (FMC), Lokoja for protection of staff and patients.
“The federal government will do all it can to attend to the needs of the citizens, while we seek ways to engage the state authorities,” he said.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that doctors, nurses and other health workers at the FMC, Lokoja, Kogi state on Wednesday, July 1, embarked on an indefinite strike.
The move followed an attack on the facility by suspected political thugs just before journalists were addressed.
A statement by the workers said the action was necessitated by the prevailing insecurity, foisted on the centre by the attackers, who they alleged, were sponsored.
COVID-19: We are forever cursed if we still go abroad for treatment after the pandemic | Legit TV