774,000 jobs: Senate again hits Keyamo, says minister too small to cause friction between NASS, Buhari

774,000 jobs: Senate again hits Keyamo, says minister too small to cause friction between NASS, Buhari

- The Senate has again lambasted the minister of labour and employment, Festus Keyamo, over proposed 774,000 employments

- Ahmad Lawan, the Senate president, said that the NDE would be fully in charge of the exercise designed to recruit 774,000 youths across Nigeria

- Lawan, however, noted that Keyamo is too small to cause friction between the NASS and President Muhammadu Buhari

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The controversy between the minister of state for labour and employment, Festus Keyamo and the Senate over the proposed employment of 774,000 for Nigerians is far from being abated.

Vanguard reports that the Senate president, Ahmad Lawan, on Monday, July 6, lambasted the minister over his stance on the employment, saying that Keyamo is too small to cause friction between the National Assembly and President Muhammadu Buhari.

Legit.ng gathered that Lawan said Keyamo is quite insignificant in the executive to cause any quagmire, adding that President Buhari is on the same page with the Senate on various development-driven national projects.

Minimum wage: FG, labour unions to meet Monday, September 16
774,000 jobs: Senate again hits Keyamo, says minister too small to cause friction between NASS, Buhari

The Senate president, Ahmad Lawan says Festus Keyamo, is too small to cause friction between NASS, Buhari. Twitter/Ahmad Lawn.
Source: UGC

Lawan who was responding to a question in Abuja during an interactive session with journalists said that the N52billion appropriated project, must be implemented by the National Directorate of Employment ( NDE), as contained in the N10.8trillion revised 2020 budget.

He said the NDE would be fully in charge of the exercise designed to recruit 774,000 youths across Nigeria as part of the federal government COVID-19 palliative measures.

Lawan, however, said that the NDE and the ministry labour and employment must first explain the modalities for the recruitment process.

“Only NDE will implement this programme. The NDE led by the ministry of labour will have to come and explain.

“It will be unfair to say that we in the legislature and executive are not on the same page because of an action by someone in the executive. What the National Assembly is insisting on is in the national interest,” he said.

Kogi guber: Huge number of APC aspirants is due to my efforts, says Gov Bello

The National Assembly had last week asked the President Muhammadu Buhari to suspend the programme, following a face-off between Keyamo and the joint panel of the two chambers of the federal parliament.

Speaking further on the planned recruitment of the 774,000 and the faceoff between the NASS and Keyamo, Lawan said: “Let me go to the first question that it appears we are not on the same page with the executive arm of government.

“Only one person defines the executive arm of government. Any other person there is recruited or appointed to support that one person. That one person is the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“So if somebody, an employee or an appointee, out of several does something that does not show harmony, it will be unfair and uncharitable to say that the executive arm of government is not on the same page with us.

Do not compare yourself with others - Immigration boss gives 10 rules to a successful career

“Secondly, it is within the purview of our committees to demand an explanation on the process and procedure through which this programme will be implemented. So our joint committee was right.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that President Buhari warned political appointees and other officials serving under his administration to stop from using their positions to assist people in securing government jobs or contracts.

It was reported that the president’s warning was conveyed in a statement from the minister of information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, in Abuja on Tuesday, June 30.

5 years after, Nigerians speak about Buhari's administration | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit Newspaper

Online view pixel