- The government of Kano state has confirmed that about 193 Almajirai have tested positive for COVID-19
- Governor Ganduje had on Thursday, July 2, lifted COVID-19 lockdown in the state
- Sunusi Kiru, the state commissioner for education, said 1,500 Almajirai have been evacuated from Kano to their states
There is a growing controversy over the ongoing repatriation of Almajirai in Kano state following the revelation that about 193 of them have tested positive for coronavirus.
The Nation reports that the Kano state government on Thursday, July 2, confirmed that the COVID-19 results of Almajirai were positive.
Legit.ng gathered that this was coming as Governor Abdullahi Ganduje directed the removal of lockdown.
Sunusi Muhammad Kiru, the state commissioner for education, while briefing reporters on July 2, said so far, 1,500 Almajirai have been evacuated from Kano to their states, adding that the state received 400.
He added that the state has banned the traditional Qur’anic schools, stating that anybody who wants to operate it must have a dormitory for his Almajirai.
“A situation where an Alrama (Islamic scholar) would come in with one thousand Almajirai without knowing where to even put them, that system is over; we will not tolerate such,” the commissioner said.
Kiru added that the government is recruiting 60 Alramas into the state civil service to give them a sense of belonging.
The state coordinator of the COVID-19 Task Force response team, Tijjani Hussain, said out of about 2,000 samples they collected under the house-to-house testing done in Nassarawa local government, only one person tested positive.
Hussain noted that this has contradicted the NCDC’s assertion that the local government is among those with the concentration of positives cases.
Ganduje, while directing the removal of lockdown, appreciated how the state is recording success in the fight against the pandemic.
He acknowledged and lauded the unrelenting efforts of the frontline health workers, reporters and other stakeholders.
He said civil servants of the grade level 12 and above should resume work from Monday, July 6.
“All markets are now opened and so also motor parks. People must observe the protocols of COVID-19 as enunciated by our health professionals,” he said.
Reiterating that street-begging is banned, he warned that only one person is allowed on the motorcycle.
He insisted that tricycle operators must not take more than two passengers.
On schools re-opening, the governor said schools would only be opened on the directive of the federal government.
“But for the final year or graduating pupils/students, like primary six pupils and students of Junior Secondary School II (JSS III) and Senior Secondary School III (SSS III), we are making preparation for their returning to schools,” the governor said.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Governor Ganduje on Thursday, July 2, announced the complete lifting of lockdown imposed on the state to mitigate the spread of coronavirus.
It was reported that Ganduje, however, said the federal government-imposed curfew from 10 pm to 4 am would remain.
Slum Chronicles: Even Coronavirus is scared of us - slum dwellers | - on Legit TV