- Some volunteers of N-Power have expressed their displeasure over the refusal of the federal government to pay their three months stipends
- The aggrieved volunteers have written the SGF, Senate and HRC over their predicament
- According to them, they would embark on a nationwide protest if the issues are not addressed
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
As Nigerians jostling to complete their online registration for the Batch C of the N-Power, some volunteers of the scheme under the aegis of unpaid N-Power beneficiaries have threatened nationwide protest.
Legit.ng's regional reporter in Osun state, Ibrahim Akinola, reports that the volunteers took what they called ''warning protest" to Nigeria's Senate recently to serve as a preface to the planned nationwide protests if their grievances are not properly addressed.
According to Legit.ng's findings, this was to register their displeasure with the way the National Social Investment Programme (NSIP) is being run under the leadership of the minister of humanitarian affairs and disaster management, Hajia Sadiya Umar Farouq.
.The report says that a source privy to what happened at the Senate said that the distressed and agitated volunteers were placated and urged by the National Assembly leadership to put their complaints to paper and send in form of a formal petition to the red chamber.
Investigations, therefore, reveal that about 80 thousand volunteers across the country are entangled in the web of the payment issue.
One of the affected beneficiaries, simply identified as Ọlalekan, while responding to a poser, said: "Actually, in my view, those saddled with the N-Power affairs are grossly incapable. The minister keeps on giving one excuse or the other.
"Is it proper for them to be owing us at this pandemic period where everyone is under lockdown? Why will they leave us at the mercy of hunger? More than eighty thousand (80,000) of us have not received a penny since February this year. They are owing us three-month stipends; March, April, and May, we are already at the twilight of June. These people are callous indeed."
Another affected beneficiary who simply identified herself as Adetokunbo said: "My own fear is that while the minister is notorious for her epileptic payment style, she is planning to wind down our batches (A and B) very soon with the new batch (C) coming onboard.
"Some had even been put on hold or forcefully exited more than a year now. There are also other numerous issues. How will all these issues be resolved within this very limited time? The management of this programme is truly incompetent." She lamented.
Subsequently, in a letter dated June 15, 2020, signed by one Aremu Ọlálékan, the spokesperson for the affected beneficiaries and addressed to the Senate president, Ahmad Lawan, in which a copy was obtained by Legit.ng, the affected volunteers clearly presented their issue to the Senate.
The Senate also acknowledged the receipt of the letter the following day, June 16, 2020.
Similar letters, in which copies were also obtained by Legit.ng were addressed and sent to the Offices of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and the National Human Rights Commission ( NHRC) on June 18, 2020.
The letters were duly received and stamped by both offices with a promise of investigation in due course.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the federal government disclosed that over one million Nigerians in the last 48 hours applied for the recruitment into the third batch of the N-Power programme.
It was reported that the spokesperson for the ministry, Rhoda Iliya, in a statement on Sunday, June 28, said 400,000 applicants would be recruited into the third batch of the scheme.
N-Power Project: I Graduated in 2005 and Have Been Unemployed Before N-Power Fixed Me Up - on Legit TV