- The INEC office in Idemili North LG area of Anambra state has been gutted by fire
- Haruna Mohammed, the state police spokesman, confirmed the incident to newsmen
- No fewer than seven persons sustained serious injuries in the incident
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Ogidi, Idemili North local government Area of Anambra state, was on Sunday, June 21, gutted by fire.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that while confirming the incident to journalists, SP Haruna Mohammed, the state police public relations officer, said the fire allegedly emanated from the bush burning.
Legit.ng gathered that he, however, said the extent of the damages done is yet to be determined.
Mohammed said that on receiving a report, a police patrol team led by DPO Ogidi division was dispatched to the scene of the incident and the fire service department immediately contacted.
Official reveals what happened to 20 out of 37 health workers that tested positive for COVID-19 in the state
The police spokesman also confirmed that no fewer than seven persons sustained varying degrees of injury in another fire incident at a residential building in Onitsha.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the famous Oba Market in Benin was razed by a fire outbreak which started from the early hours of Monday, June 22.
It was reported that although the flames have been quenched by men of the state's fire service, a lot of properties and a large section of the commercial hub were destroyed leading to pain and despair of shop owners.
The tragic development was confirmed by the assistant controller of the federal fire service in Asaba, Delta state, Samson Karibo.
In another report, it was gathered that what could have led into a tragedy was thankfully averted when a fire outbreak hit the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday, June 4.
Mallam Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, confirming the fire incident described the situation as minor.
The presidential aide said the incident was caused by an electrical spark in the afternoon at a store near the State House Chapel in the Presidential Villa.
"Aso Rock would have been razed to the ground had it not been for the timely intervention of vigilant members of staff on the premises," Shehu had said.
He said that the minor fire incident was brought under control by vigilant staff using fire extinguishers, adding that there was no report of injury or damage.
Lagos Fire: This outbreak has now become a yearly 'sacrifice' - traders lament| - on Legit TV