- The Nigerian government has admitted that it is owing 12,000 N-Power beneficiaries
- This was disclosed on Monday, June 22, by Sadiya Umar Farouq, the minister of humanitarian affairs in Abuja
- Farouq explained that administrative issues are delaying the payment of the volunteers
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Sadiya Umar Farouq, the minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management, and social development on Monday, June 22, revealed that about 12,000 N-Power beneficiaries are yet to be paid their three-month stipends.
According to Daily Trust, Farouq admitted this at the media briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja.
She disclosed that the delay in paying the volunteers was as a result of administrative issues, adding that her ministry was working to resolve it with the office of the Account General.
“So, these are the administrative issues that have hindered the payment of some of the volunteers. There are about 12,000 of them based on our record and as I am speaking with you, the permanent secretary of the ministry is in the office of the accountant general to sort out these issues and once we get the report, we will make it available to all,” she said.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the ministry of humanitarian affairs, disaster management, and social development on Friday, June 19, spoke on when the application for recruitment into the N-Power scheme will begin.
Farouq announced that the online portal for application will be opened on Friday, June 26. She also disclosed that the Batch A and B of the programme comprising 500, 000 beneficiaries will be disengaged on Tuesday, June 30, and Friday, July 31, respectively.
The minister said that the federal government has commenced the process of transitioning the beneficiaries into public and private establishments.
In a related development, the House of Representatives had expressed worry over the inconsistency in the money (N474,961,312,112.42) spent by the N-Power scheme since 2016.
When questioned by the House on Wednesday, June 17, the assistant director of N-Power, Nsikak Okon, spoke on behalf of the scheme.
Whereas Okon informed the House that N421,525,909,355 has been spent in four years, the agency had stipulated that the sum of N474,961,312,112.42 was expended since inception.
Called upon to give details of the expenditure and explain the discrepancy between both sums, Okon pointed out that there was a typographical error on the last page of the submission, adding that it is supposed to be N421,575,909,355.
N-Power Project: I Graduated in 2005 and Have Been Unemployed Before N-Power Fixed Me Up Legit TV