- President Trump has come up with another anti-immigration policy which he is set to implement through an executive order
- The US president is set to sign an executive order which will suspend visas for foreign workers till the end of 2020
- Trump explained that the move is to save jobs for Americans amid the coronavirus pandemic
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed
In furtherance of his strict anti-immigration policies, the president of the United States, Donald Trump is set to sign an executive order that will suspend new visas for foreign workers till the end of 2020.
According to NBC News, this was disclosed by the White House on Monday, June 22.
Legit.ng gathers that the president claimed that the goal of the new order is to preserve jobs from American citizens amid the coronavirus pandemic which has adversely affected the country's economy.
The White House estimated that 525,000 American jobs will be saved or created by the executive order.
When the executive order is signed, the categories to be affected include H1B visas for tech workers, H2B visas for low-skill jobs, and H4 visas for spouses of certain visa holders.
Others are J visas for those participating in work and student exchanges and L visas for intracompany transfers. They will all be suspended till December 31.
The new order will, however, exempt university professors and people working in food processing, such as agriculture or seafood.
There are indications that the new move by President Trump will meet backlash from the American business community.
Already, the American Immigration Lawyers Association has criticised the move. The association notes that while the government claims it is meant to save jobs, the reality is that "the jobs that these foreign nationals would have held are ones that U.S. workers can’t or won’t fill.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Fareed Zakaria, a top American journalist with the CNN, analysed why the recent decision of the US government to impose immigrant visa restriction on Nigeria "does not make sense."
The US government had justified the restriction on the basis of national security concerns, claiming that the affected countries have gaps in their security protocols surrounding travel which exposed the US to terror threats.
The American journalist, however, said the "argument does not really make sense", citing data from CATO institute.
According to the data, "No one born in Nigeria, Myanmar, Tanzania, and Eritrea have been responsible for a single terror-related death on American soil between 1975 and 2017."
Zakaria argued that if the government was truly worried about security from the countries, it would ban all visas, not just immigrant visa.
Ogun state makes fresh bend in education policy, to make results of secondary school students public
He said the government's decision to target only permanent visas, leaving the temporary visas, suggests something else is going on.
According to him, when Trump unveiled the new immigration plan in 2019, he said he wants English speaking immigrants who could assimilate easily and give back to the country.
Zakaria said if that is what Trump wants, Nigerian immigrants who make up the largest group of Sub-Saharan Africans in the US as of 2017 "check all those boxes".
4 implications of Trump’s ban on Nigerians from the USA | Legit TV