- A large section of the popular Oba market in Benin was razed by fire on Monday, June 22
- The inferno damaged many shops containing properties worth millions of naira
- However, the leadership of the federal fire service has confirmed that the flames have been quenched
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The famous Oba Market in Benin has been razed by a fire outbreak which started in the early hours of Monday, June 22 (precisely by 12.05am) till 6am.
Although the flames have been quenched by men of the state's fire service, a lot of properties and a large section of the commercial hub were destroyed leading to pain and despair of shop owners, The Nation reports.
The tragic development was confirmed by the assistant controller of the federal fire service in Asaba, Delta state, Samson Karibo.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that what could have boomeranged into a tragedy was thankfully averted when a fire outbreak hit the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Thursday, June 4.
Mallam Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, confirming the fire incident described the situation as minor.
The presidential aide said the incident was caused by an electrical spark in the afternoon at a store near the State House Chapel in the Presidential Villa.
Aso Rock would have been razed to the ground had it not been for the timely intervention of vigilant members of staff on the premises, Shehu said.
He said that the minor fire incident was brought under control by vigilant staff using fire extinguishers, adding that there was no report of injury or damage.
“The incident, linked to an electrical spark, was immediately brought under control by alert staff using available fire extinguishers well ahead of the arrival of the Federal Fire Service trucks stationed just outside the premises. Luckily, no injury or serious damage was recorded,” the presidential spokesman said.
Moreover, the capital of Ogun state, Abeokuta, witnessed pandemonium on the night of Wednesday, February 12, as fire erupted in the house of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
The house, located at Ita-Eko area of Abeokuta, was gutted by fire about 9.30pm. Legit.ng gathers that the fire incident was allegedly caused by a power surge.
Residents of the area reportedly joined the former president's domestic workers to help in putting out the fire in an exercise which lasts for almost an hour.
Lagos Fire: This outbreak has now become a yearly 'sacrifice' - traders lament| Legit TV