FG carpets resident doctors, says strike needless

FG carpets resident doctors, says strike needless

- Resident doctors have been blasted for going on strike

- According to the FG, the strike was uncalled for

- Lai Mohammed said the FG had already responded to their needs and requests

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Few hours after the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) suspended their strike, the federal government has described their action as needless and insensitive.

According to the minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, issues raised by the association had received attention.

He disclosed this in a joint address by Mohammed and ministers of Health, Osagie Ehanire, Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige.

FG carpets resident doctors, says strike needless
Lai Mohammed said the FG had already responded to their needs and requests. Credit: Mohammed
Source: UGC

Legit.ng had reported that following the deadlock meeting between representatives of the federal government and those of striking doctors, the minister of health Osagie Ehanire, has made some remarks.

Read also

Retention of military chiefs is a disservice to Nigeria - Group tells Buhari

Doctors on the platform of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) met with the minister of labour and employment, Senator Chris Ngige, on Tuesday, June 16, and were engaged in a discussion that lasted for hours without a headway, The Nation reports.

Reacting to the development, Ehanire expressed surprise that Nigerian medical practitioners have chosen to go on strike at a time when the nation needs them the most.

Recall that Legit.ng had reported that the Nigerian government on Friday, June 19, released N4.5 billion to 31 federal teaching and medical centres across the country, following the ongoing strike residents doctors embarked on.

This was revealed by Chris Ngige, the minister of labour and employment while briefing State House correspondents after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja.

The money which was released in the early hours of Friday is payment for hazard and inducement allowances for the month of April and May.

Read also

Abuja-based businessman raises concerns as AMAC demands N250k disinfection fee

Legit.ng had also reported that by Dr. Osagie Ehanire, Nigeria's minister of health urged the striking doctors to call off their strike action.

Ehanire who made the appeal while speaking on Channels Television breakfast show, Sunrise Daily, on Friday, June 19, said the present government will unfailingly fulfil its promises to health workers.

The minister who stated this in reaction to claims that the government has not kept to its promises said the Buhari-led government has a track record of being sympathetic and keeping its promises.

Ehanire assured doctors that this administration led by Buhari is the most sincere and serious government Nigeria has ever had.

Coronavirus: Ease of lockdown is best for us - Nigerians | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel