- The Kogi government has commenced the distribution of farming materials/implements to farmers in the state
- Authorities in the state say the move is in a bid to boost its rice, cashew and cassava production
- Some of the items distributed included rice seedlings, pressure sprayers, fertilizers, herbicides among others
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed
The Kogi state government has commenced the distribution of farming materials/implements to Kogi state farmers under the APPEALS (Agro-Processing, Productivity Enhancement and Livelihood Improvement Support) project.
Authorities in the state say the move is in a bid to boost its rice, cashew and cassava production.
Kogi deputy governor and chairman steering committee of APPEALS, Edward Onoja on Friday, June 19, paid a visit to the Agricultural Development Project (ADP) plant in Felele, Lokoja and Ogbogbo, Igalamela local government area of the state to kick start the distributions to farmers.
He noted that the administration of Governor Yahaya Bello was keen on safeguarding the lives of citizens and has a stern determination to restore Kogi state's economy to enviable heights.
Some of the items distributed included rice seedlings, pressure sprayers, fertilizers, herbicides and Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) at Ajaokuta local government area and Ogbogbo, Igalamela Odolu local government area.
Legit.ng gathered that over 698 rice farmers would benefit from the materials shared, while 1720 hectares of land for rice farming.
Also, a total of N633million has been approved to fund the value chain investment plan produced by the farmers throughout the state.
The Nigerian constitution has divided responsibility for agricultural development among the three tiers of government (federal, states and local governments) and these are contained in the exclusive and concurrent legislative lists.
The state governments' roles are mainly:
1. Promotion of primary production of all items of agricultural produce;
2. Development and management of the irrigation areas of large dams;
3. Management of impounded water and downstream structure of large dams;
4. Promotion of appropriate farm mechanization;
5. Investment in rural roads and water supply;
6. Training and manpower development.
Experts say the Kogi state government has delivered in all these areas and still doing more.
The Yahaya Bello administration is said to have paid much attention to agriculture like it did in security.
Recently, the Kogi state government formally commenced community policing in the state.
This follows the inauguration of the State Community Policing Advisory Committee (SCPC) and the State Community Policing Committee (SCPC) simultaneously on Monday, June 15.
The committees were inaugurated by Governor Bello who was represented by Chief Onoja.
Nigeria’s agricultural revolution kick-starts in Nasarawa state | Legit TV