- The defection of Godwin Obaseki to PDP has been described as insignificant according to the APC
- Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, the APC spokesperson, said Obaseki’s move to the PDP was expected
- Obaseki resigned from the APC after the party disqualified him from the Edo governorship primary
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The defection of Godwin Obaseki to PDP has been described as insignificant, according to the spokesperson of the APC
The spokesperson of the party, Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, told The Nation newspaper in a telephone chat that on Friday, June 19, that Obaseki’s move to the PDP was expected.
"It has not come to us as a surprise. We knew he had defected long ago because he resigned his membership of the party which we have accepted," Issa-Onilu said.
Issa-Onilu pointed out that Obeseki joining the PDP is no longer news because he had already resigned from the APC.
“So you can’t defect twice. So if he is defecting again, we don’t know whether what he has just done now is news any longer,” Issa-Onilu reacted.
Obaseki resigned from the APC after the party disqualified him from the June 22 governorship primary.
Meanwhile, the struggle for who is to occupy the seat of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is not over yet going by an order of a high court in Rivers on Friday, June 19.
Granting an order of perpetual injection in a suit filed by Dele Moses, the high court in Port Harcourt presided over by Justice Florence Fiberesima ruled that Victor Giadom has no right to parade himself as a member of the APC's National Working Committee (NWC),
The court also issued an order restraining the Giadom, the deputy national secretary of the ruling party, from acting in the capacity of the acting national chairman.
The verdict was predicated on the basis that Giadom resigned from his position as a member of the NWC in order to contest the 2019 general election as the deputy governor.
In another report, amid growing political tension in Edo state, the Benin monarch, Omo N’Oba Nedo Uku Akpolokpolo Oba Ewuare II, has finally reacted to the developments in the state.
The Nation reported that the monarch, according to a statement issued by the Benin place on Thursday, June 18, said he is opposed to imposition (consensus candidate) and godfatherism in the state.
Legit.ng gathered that the statement, signed by Frank Irabor, the secretary to the Benin Traditional Council, said there was no truth in social media speculations that the royal father had prevailed on some governorship aspirants to step down for one of the aspirants in the upcoming shadow poll of a certain political party.
APC disqualifies Obaseki from Edo guber primaries | Legit TV