- Two of President Buhari's ministers have issued conflicting instructions regarding the fate of the MD of NBET, Marilyn Amobi
- While the minister of power announced immediate removal of the NBET MD, the finance minister issued a letter asking her to serve out her term
- The two ministers separately said their opposing instructions were authorised by President Buhari
There is a fresh confusion in the Nigerian presidency as two ministers have given conflicting instruction over the fate of the managing director of the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading (NBET), Marilyn Amobi.
According to Premium Times, the minister of power, Saleh Mamman, had earlier announced her removal “with immediate effect”.
Amobi's removal was announced days after Premium Times exposed her alleged violation of Nigeria’s code of conduct for public officials.
According to the newspaper, Ms Amobi runs a private company named ESL Economics and Management Limited, and operates foreign bank account in the United Kingdom, despite being the MD of NBET.
The power minister announced Amobi's removal in a statement on Monday evening, June 15, while Nnaemeka Eweluka, NBET's general counsel and secretary, was appointed as her replacement.
Confusion, however, set in also late Monday when the minister of finance, Zainab Ahmed, issued another letter instructing Amobi to serve out her tenure which ends on Friday, July 24, 2020.
The two ministers separately said their opposing instructions were authorised by President Muhamadu Buhari.
Premium Times notes that President Buhari had earlier in a June 8 memo approved that Amobi serve out her tenure.
The newspaper, however, sources in the Presidential Villa said President Buhari was angered by the report of Amobi’s abuse of code of conduct and immediately ordered her removal.
Nonetheless, shortly after the power minister announced Amobi's removal, the finance ministry issued a letter asking the NBET MD to serve her term while attaching the June 8 memo earlier approved by Buhari.
Legit.ng gathers, however, that the finance minister's letter also asked Amobi to hand over to Eweluka at the completion of her tenure in July.
The main point of conflict is that while Mamman’s instruction was that Amobi should handover immediately, the finance minister's letter asked her to serve out her term.
In a similar development, Legit.ng reported that the minister of communications and digital economy, Isa Pantami, clashed with Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the chairman of NIDCOM, after the latter accused him of ordering gunmen to evict her staff from an office complex given to it by the Nigeria Communication Commission.
Dabiri-Erewa said the staff members were not even allowed to take their property after armed men sealed the office.
However, reacting to the development via his personal Twitter handle on Sunday evening, May 24, Pantami described Dabiri-Erewa's allegation as “a fat lie”.
“THIS IS A FAT LIE FROM HER: The owner of the building @NgComCommission has faulted her lies on their social media platforms. The minister has never given that directives to any gunman. We need to be very objective in reporting. I have never sent any gunmen there, and I have no one,” the minister tweeted.
5 years after, Nigerians speak about Buhari's administration | Legit TV