NIMC says it has registered 900 repentant Boko Haram members

NIMC says it has registered 900 repentant Boko Haram members

- The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) has disclosed that it has registered 900 former insurgents

- Aliyu Aziz, director-general of the commission made the disclosure on Monday, June 15

- The director-general said its verification services could help support the FG in the ongoing war against insecurity

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

As part of the program to reintegrate repentant Boko Haram members into the community, 900 former insurgents have been registered by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC).

The commission in a statement on Monday, June 15, said it is supporting the deradicalisation of insurgents by providing reliable and secure data of repentant Boko Haram members, The Cable reported.

NIMC says it has registered 900 repentant Boko Haram members

NIMC says it has registered 900 repentant Boko Haram members
Source: UGC

Aliyu Aziz, director-general pointed out that its verification and authentication services could help support the FG in the ongoing war against security challenges.

COVID-19: FG reveals why mosques, churches may be closed again

On his part, the spokesperson for the defence headquarters, Major general John Enenche, said NIMC

He said repentant Boko Haram whose data are captured by NIMC would be traced in they renege on their pledge to give up arms.

Meanwhile, a report has emerged that gunmen have killed not less than ten people in a fresh attack on three communities of Agatu local government area in Benue state.

According to some villagers in the affected communities who spoke to the online publication, so far 10 bodies have been recovered while many others are missing from the attacks that occurred early Sunday morning, June 14.

Usman Suleiman, the Agatu council chairman while confirming the incident said details of the simultaneous attacks were sketchy.

The chairman narrating the incident explained that around 7:00 am suspected gunmen attacked Adana community. He then quickly alerted the necessary authorities including security agencies in Benue state.

COVID-19: Apologise to Kogi people for misleading them - PDP tells Yahaya Bello

Suleiman went on to note that the security personnel responded quickly and were able to make some arrests and retrieved nine corpses. Items recovered from a militia leader arrested by men of Operation Whirl Stroke include one Ak47 rifle and 60 rounds of ammunition.

Though the Force Commander of OPWS, Major General Adeyemi Yekini did not comment on the matter, DSP Catherine Anene, the Benue Command Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), confirmed that 3 bodies were recovered from the attacks.

In another report, as insecurity continues to pose threats to the peaceful existence of Nigeria, the House of Representatives has decided to subject the service chiefs to an inquiry.

During a plenary on Thursday, June 4, the federal lawmakers at the lower chambers raised eyebrows against the security potholes and rise in attacks in some states.

They resolved that the atrocities committed by bandits and Boko Haram terrorists grossly betrayed the efforts and commitment of the federal government towards the security of the country.

COVID-19 task force makes recommendations on schools, worship centres

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet

Survivors of Boko Haram | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel