- Marcus Rashford's open letter to the British government has been given an immediate response
- The British prime minister through his spokesman said the government are not making a U-turn
- The Man United striker has raised £20million in a bid to feed 3 million people during the lockdown
Marcus Rashford's plea to extend the free school meals during the summer holidays has been rejected by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
Spokesman of the prime minister on Monday, June 15, 2020, confirmed that the scheme would be ending with the school term.
Johnson's spokesperson promised to respond to the Man United striker's letter as soon as he can: “He’s been using his profile in a positive way to highlight some very important issues."
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
He added: “The PM understands the issues facing families across the UK which is why last week the government announced an additional £63m for local authorities to benefit families who are struggling to afford food and other basic essentials.”
Johnson expects schools to make food parcels available for collection or delivery and schools can continue to offer vouchers to eligible pupils and the government will not be funding the provision.
Rashford in an open letter pleaded with the MP's to reconsider their decision not to extend the current food voucher scheme.
The 22-year-old shared his experiences as a young child and how he and other families benefitted from the scheme.
"It's written from the heart and it's about how my life was at the moment - the letter is to open up and let people understand the impact on families and to know I've done the right thing.
"What families are going through now, I've once had to go through that - and it's very difficult to find a way out. It's very important for me to help people who are struggling. Whether the outcome changes or doesn't change - that's why I wrote it," Rashford told BBC Breakfast.
Daddy Showkey reveals the business opportunities in cannabis (Igbo), tells government to legalise it (video)
The Red Devils' academy graduate has already raised £20million to feed 3 million less, privileged people during the lockdown, through the FareShare scheme.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that Marcus Rashford has written an open letter to the British government, appealing to them to reverse their decision in stopping free school meal vouchers during the summer.
The Manchester United striker claimed that such decisions would affect many families who are less privileged during the pandemic.
The 21-year-old recently raised £20million to feed 3 million people through the FareShare UK during the lockdown periods.
I’ve proof to show I was asked for bribe to make World Cup team – Obasi | Legit TV