- A fresh attack by unknown gunmen has claimed the lives of at least ten in Benue state
- The attack which reportedly happened on Sunday, June 14, was confirmed by Usman Suleiman, Agatu council chairman
- According to the report, the attack occurred in three communities of Agatu local government area
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
A report by Daily Trust indicates that gunmen have killed not less than ten people in a fresh attack on three communities of Agatu local government area in Benue state.
According to some villagers in the affected communities who spoke to the online publication, so far 10 bodies have been recovered while many others are missing from the attacks that occurred early Sunday morning, June 14.
Usman Suleiman, the Agatu council chairman while confirming the incident said details of the simultaneous attacks were sketchy.
The chairman narrating the incident explained that around 7:00 am suspected gunmen attacked Adana community. He then quickly alerted the necessary authorities including security agencies in Benue state.
Suleiman went on to note that the security personnel responded quickly and were able to make some arrests and retrieved nine corpses.
Items recovered from a militia leader arrested by men of Operation Whirl Stroke include one Ak47 rifle and 60 rounds of ammunition.
Though the Force Commander of OPWS, Major General Adeyemi Yekini did not comment on the matter, DSP Catherine Anene, the Benue Command Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), confirmed that 3 bodies were recovered from the attacks.
The command PPRO said: “Information was received on Sunday at about 5:30 am that suspected herdsmen attacked Adama village, a riverine area in Agatu that is not motorable. A team of police officers has been deployed to the area but the level of destruction/ casualties is yet to be ascertained. Further development will be communicated to you as soon as the team on the ground starts sending reports.”
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that another village in Borno state came under attack from Boko haram insurgents.
According to Sahara Reporters, the terrorists attacked Goni Sulemanti which is under Nganzai local government area in the northeast state. The reports quoted residents as saying security agencies have been notified of the incident but the terrorist were having a free hand.
In other news, villagers numbering over 70 were killed by Boko Haram insurgents on Tuesday afternoon, June 9, during a fresh attack in Borno state.
The attack, which was carried out in Faduma Koloram village in Gubio local government area of Borno, was said to have been unleashed on helpless locals around 12 pm. Credible sources told multiple media that the attackers also killed over 300 cows and rustled nearly 1000.
Democracy Day: Nigerians lament bitterly over governance | Legit TV