Coronavirus: FG evacuates 362 Nigerians from Egypt and India

Coronavirus: FG evacuates 362 Nigerians from Egypt and India

- A total of 362 Nigerians stranded abroad have been brought back home by the federal government

- Foreign affairs minister Onyeama confirmed the evacuations in a tweet on Friday

- According to him, over two-thirds of the evacuees were from Egypt while the rest came from India

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Nigerian government has confirmed the evacuation of 362 citizens stranded in the northern African country of Egyp and Asian country India.

Legit.ng reports that the confirmation was made late on Friday, June 12 by the minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama.

The minister posted the information on his verified Twitter handle.

In the breakdown, he said 102 Nigerians were brought back home from Egypt and another 260 from India.

Legit.ng notes that just over a month ago, Nigerians stranded in the United Kingdom due the coronavirus lockdown were repatriated back home.

COVID-19 hits northern state again as lawmaker, 3 others die

The Nigerian returnees, whose plane arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport at about 13:45 pm on Friday, May 8, were then airlifted to Abuja.

Legit.ng gathered that it was there that they were quarantined for 14 days in accordance with the protocols of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

Coronavirus: FG evacuates 362 Nigerians from Egypt and India

Onyeama giving an update on the evacuation of Nigerians abroad during a recent COVID-19 press briefing by the presidential task force. Photo Credit: Channels
Source: Twitter

In a related vein, the Consulate-General of Nigeria in New York also said last month that the evacuation of nationals stranded in the U.S. due to the coronavirus pandemic is set to begin on Sunday, May 10.

This was disclosed in a notice signed on Sunday, May 3, by Benaoyagha Okoyen, the Consul-General on behalf of the Nigerian Missions in the U.S.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

It was gathered that not less than 700 Nigerians have registered for evacuation with the missions in the U.S.

Over 270 killed in 20 deadly Sokoto attacks - Group alleges

There was an uproar recently among Nigerians residing in Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Thailand, who indicated an interest in returning home after they were asked to pay for flight, accommodation and feeding before they could be evacuated.

The Nigerian embassies in the three countries informed intending evacuees that they will pay N297,000 each.

Those who failed to pay were told they would not be allowed to board the flight back home.

Coronavirus: Churches can never be as crowdy as markets | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel