The re-election bid of Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo state under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Friday, June 12, finally hit the rock.
Legit.ng reports that Jonathan Ayuba-led governorship screening committee in the state declared Obaseki unfit to contest the primary based on discrepancies on the certificates he tendered before it.
Although Obaseki had on Thursday, June 11, expressed fear that he might not get justice from the screening committee, his disqualification from the race may set a new record in Nigeria's politics.
Here are some reasons that led to Obaseki's ouster from the Edo APC governorship primary:
1. The chairman of the screening committee, Prof. Jonathan Ayuba, hinged the disqualification of Obaseki on the fact that he was not fit to partake in the party's primary to choose its standard-bearer for the upcoming governorship election in the state.
2. The screening committee said that Obaseki presented the Higher School Certificate (HSC) which the panel said was defective.
3. It noted that Obaseki's HSC certificate was not in existence.
4. The committee also added that the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) certificate Obaseki presented did not have his name written properly.
5. Although the University of Ibadan had issued a statement to confirm that Obaseki is the institution's alumnus, it was argued that statement failed to exonerate the governor from the discrepancies in his certificates.
6. Apparently determined to prevent the reoccurrence of Bayelsa experience, the ruling APC saved its head from possible legal tussle that might arise if Obaseki eventually wins the primary and becomes the party's standard-bearer for the election.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the APC screening committee summoned all the aspirants who were screened earlier this week to appear before it at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja.
It was reported that a member of the committee said a text message had been sent to all the aspirants informing them to report at the party secretariat for the sitting of the appeal committee, slated to begin at 10 am.
It was gathered that all the aspirants were summoned so that anyone disqualified who needed to seek redress would have the opportunity to do so immediately.
Another party chief said the chances are high that the screening committee might disqualify Obaseki, who has been having a running battle with APC national chairman, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.
Shortly after he was screened, the governor had said he might not get justice from the party and accused Oshiomhole of being a judge by proxy in his case. Governor Obaseki is not known to be a typical politician like his aggrieved godfather.
APC disqualifies Obaseki from Edo guber primaries |- on Legit TV