- In contrast to its earlier statement, FG has denied announcing a ban lift on local flights on June 21
- PTF coordinator, Aliyu Sani, said the day is for the aviation sector to announce its readiness to resume flights back to the skies
- Nigeria currently has 14, 554 cases of coronavirus as NCDC announced 681 fresh cases
Contrary to its previous position, the presidential force on Covid-19 has denied announcing Sunday, June 21, for the resumption of the local flights after two months of lockdown.
The committee, however, said the day is for the aviation sector of the country to announce its readiness for commencing massive operation of the local flights.
Speaking at the committee's media briefing on Thursday, June 9, PTF coordinator Dr Aliyu Sani said that federal government only gave the aviation three weeks to start preparing for resumption back to the skies.
Aliyu further emphasised that it is now left for the sector to decide if it is ready to move the planes back to the skies as part of the phase II relaxation of the lockdown previously imposed on the country due to Covid-19 crisis.
Legit.ng recalls that the federal government had announced a ban lift on religious gathering effective from Monday, June, 1 after doing the Covid-19 risk analysis with the 36 state governors.
“What we said to the aviation authority is this; you need to let us know, from the 21st of June onwards, if you are ready to start opening the skies.
"We didn’t say 21st of June, skies open, we gave them a window of three weeks to prepare and I believe they are preparing," Aliyu said.
Speaking further, the PTF coordinator submitted that the aviation industry is highly regulated and there are certain things to be put in place before planes can move to full operation.
Nigeria currently has 14, 554 cases of coronavirus as NCDC, a national disease control agency, announced 681 new cases on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Lagos state government has made clarifications on the report that event centres in the state have been re-opened, adding that owners of various social centres across the state must register their facilities pending when the governor would give further directives regarding their operations.
The commissioner for tourism, arts and culture, Uzamat AkinbiIe-Yusuf, who made the clarification following reports in the media that owners of the event centre could now open for operations, maintained that all event centres and cinemas are to remain shut for now.
Coronavirus: Churches can never be as crowdy as markets | Legit TV