- Six hundred and three repentant Boko Haram fighters are undergoing de-radicalisation programme
- The defence headquarters disclosed that the ex-Boko Haram fighters would complete the de-radicalization programme by July
- The spokesperson for the defence headquarters, a Major-General John Enenche, said the DRR programme is under Operation Safe Corridor
Six hundred and three repentant Boko Haram fighters are expected to be reintegrated into their communities in July after being de-radicalised.
The defence headquarters disclosed on Thursday, June 11, that the 603 repentant insurgents who are still undergoing courses at the Deradicalisation, Rehabilitation, and Reintegration (DRR) programme would be integrated after successfully completing the scheme.
The coordinator, defence media operations, Major-General John Enenche, said the DRR programme which is under Operation Safe Corridor (OPSC), has recorded tremendous success judging from the feedback from previous trainees.
He cited an example of a trainee named Bama, who learned barbing as a vocation is happily married with children.
Enenche said so far, 893 former insurgents have been admitted in the programme out of which 280 been successfully reintegrated back into the society.
He noted that the operation was guided by the provisions of International Humanitarian and Human Rights Laws.
The spokesperson urged Nigerians to disregard the misinformation about the programme.
Legit.ng gathered that the concept of Operation Safe Corridor is that of a unique non-kinetic operation aimed at giving hope to ex-combatants who willingly give up their arms to embrace peace.
It is a Defence Headquarters-led multi-agency humanitarian effort based on De-radicalization, Rehabilitation and Re-Integration (DRR) of ex-combatant Boko Haram members that willingly surrender, which was established in September 2015 and became operational in 2016.
It is guided by among other provisions such as International Humanitarian and Human Rights Laws.
It is being administered by 468 staff drawn from 17 organizations including the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN), Law Enforcement and Security Agencies, other Federal Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) including North East Development Commission (NEDC) as well as locals from Gombe, where the DRR camp is located.
The scheme also enjoys widespread collaboration and support of local and international NGOs.
Meanwhile, according to the latest submission of Nigeria's Senate president, Ahmad Lawan, on Thursday, June 11, Boko Haram now operates in the country just like an industry.
Lawan revealed that the terrorist group now has its members from several religions and nations, AIT News reported.
The Senate boss lamented that despite countless resolutions and efforts made by the red chamber, the insurgents are still thriving in their business of inflicting pain and striking terror in the minds of Nigerians.
In another news report, Operatives of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Borno state command have arrested a suspected Boko Haram logistics supplier.
Ibrahim Abdullahi, the Borno state NSCDC commandant who confirmed this in Maiduguri on Thursday, June 11, noted that the suspect was apprehended with a car filled with fuel and other commodities.
Abdullahi said that the suspect, Bakura Ibrahim, was nabbed by men at the Muna Garage along Gamboru Ngala Road, Maiduguri on Saturday, June 6.
Items found with the 35-year-old include 24 jerry cans of 25 liters of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), 7 cartons of traditional medicine, 10 bags of fishing hooks and nets, and sex enhancement drugs.
Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV