- Three aid workers and a soldier were reported to have been abducted by Boko Haram
- A source said that one of the abductees works with SEMA
- The incident happened on Tuesday, June 2, at about 11 am at a location in Guzamala local government of Borno
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed
A report by Premium Times indicates that at least three humanitarian workers and a Nigerian soldier were on Tuesday, June 2, abducted by suspected Boko Haram insurgents in the northern part of Borno state.
Legit.ng gathered that the humanitarian workers travelling under a military escort from Maiduguri to Monguno in the northern part of Borno ran into an ambush that led to the abductions.
The online news platform said that concerned organisations have been silent about the incident days after it happened.
The Borno state government has, however, confirmed the development.
According to the report, it is not clear which of the humanitarian organisations the two abductees work for but the Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) confirmed that one of the three aid workers was their official.
The executive chairperson of SEMA, Yabawa Kolo, described the abduction as “sad and very unfortunate.”
Kolo told journalists that her organisation has since “reported the matter to the police and other security agencies.”
She said security agents are currently working on information received from the driver of the car, “who was spared by the insurgents.”
The online platform noted that sources familiar with the incident said the travelling aid workers were on Tuesday, June 2, waylaid at about 11 am at a location in Guzamala local government of Borno.
“They forcefully disarmed the soldier and took away three other aid workers, but left the driver of the vehicle,” an operative of Civilian-JTF who asked not to be named said.
“Two of the civilians work with NGO and one with SEMA, but I am not at liberty to mention the name of the NGO – that’s the warning we received from the security agents investigating the matter,” the source added.
But when our reporter contacted the Borno state police command, the spokesman, Edet Okon, a deputy superintendent of police, said he was not aware of the incident.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Boko Haram faction loyal to Abubakar Shekau suffered a heavy defeat as 72 members of the group were recently killed by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.
It was reported that the coordinator of defence media operations, Major General John Enenche, in a statement on Wednesday, June 3, disclosed that the troops also killed high profile Boko Haram commanders, including Manzar Halid, Amir Abu Fatima and Nicap, among others.
Police arrest, reveal identities of ASP, inspector who reportedly killed 17-year-old girl in Lagos (photos)
Nigerian Air Force Operations Against Boko Haram | - on Legit TV