Over 270 killed in 20 deadly Sokoto attacks - Group alleges

Over 270 killed in 20 deadly Sokoto attacks - Group alleges

- Concerned Sokoto Citizens (CSC) said more than 270 have died in 20 deadly attacks since January

- The group angered by the recent attacks in the state called for urgent intervention

- Professor Nasiru Gatawa speaking on behalf of the coalition said activities of the bandits have crippled social and economic activities

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed

Following the recent spike in insecurity in Sokoto state, a coalition of Concerned Sokoto Citizens (CSC) has called for urgent intervention, especially after the latest attack on Wednesday, May 27, left at least 70 people dead.

According to Daily Trust, the group, angered by the recent attack, lamented that since January, over 270 lives have been lost in 20 deadly attacks.

Professor Nasiru Gatawa speaking on behalf of the coalition said they were under siege and the government must take decisive action.

Read also

Totally crush them now - Buhari orders military operation on bandits

According to him, Sabon Birni is the most terrorised local government in the zone where bandits operate for several hours freely and even in a broad daylight with no help from the government in many cases.

Over 270 killed in 20 deadly Sokoto attacks - Group alleges
Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal of Sokoto state
Source: Twitter

Gatawa went on to note that bandits are controlling part of each local government in the eastern zone. He added that the activities of the bandits have crippled social and economic activities which have led to the loss of hundreds of lives and properties running into billions.

The professor, speaking on the most recent attack, said: “The situation is getting so serious that even Sokoto metropolis cannot boast of being safe from the attacks of bandits because the activities of these bandits are gradually expanding to villages a few kilometres to Sokoto city.”

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the military to totally crush bandits responsible for attacks on the people of Sokoto state.

Read also

Kano Islamic clerics disagree with Ganduje, want mosques, churches remain closed amid rising Covid-19 cases

The Nigerian president gave the order on Thursday, May 28, in a statement issued by his media aide, Garba Shehu.

Buhari described the recent attacks by bandits in the Sabon Birni local government area (LGA) of Sokoto state as tragic and unfortunate.

“We will not abandon you to your fate because we are determined to bring these mass murderers to their knees and crush them totally,” the president said.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Similarly, Ibrahim Gobir, the senator representing Sokoto east senatorial district, alleged that residents of Sokoto state now rely on soldiers of Niger Republic to defend them from the attacks of bandits.

The senator told the Senate on Tuesday, May 19, that the Nigerian Army was no longer capable of saving his people from bandits. He said constant attacks from bandits had forced about 5,000 people from Sokoto state to migrate to Niger Republic for safety.

Read also

Buhari goes tough against bandits, launches special secret squad after recent attacks in Kaduna

Gobir made the statement when he contributed to a motion on insecurity during plenary. He said the Nigerian Army fails to respond whenever the people call them for help.

In other news, the Defence Headquarters says Boko Haram terrorists in the Sambisa Forest of Borno have been set in disarray, following massive air strikes conducted by the Air Task Force of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) on Friday, May 15.

The coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday in Abuja.

Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara - Nigerians cry | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Tags:
Online view pixel