- A convict of fraud, Sadiq Mustapha, has been rejected by the Kaduna correctional centre over the fear of COVID-19
- The convict was taken to the correction centre by the EFCC
- Yakubu Mailafia, the zonal head of EFCC in Kaduna state, however, expressed disappointment over the rejection of Mustapha
Sanusi Danmusa, the controller of Kaduna state correctional centre, has confirmed that one of the centres in the state rejected a convict brought in by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Tribune reports that Danmusa said the rejection conformed with directives not to admit new inmates in order to check the spread of coronavirus.
Legit.ng gathered that he stated this while reacting to claims by the Kaduna zonal office of the EFCC that a convict, Sadiq Mustapha, was turned back when he was brought to the centre for admission.
The newspaper noted that the zonal head of EFCC in Kaduna state, Yakubu Mailafia, said he was highly disappointed with the policy of Kaduna correctional centre.
He said that there must be an isolation centre in all the correctional centres across the country to quarantine convicts or inmates when the need arises.
“EFCC has a limitation in detaining inmates and correctional centres are the last bus stop of convicts. If they are rejected, where can we take them to?” he queried.
The anti-graft agency had secured a seven-year prison term for Mustapha without an option of fine, before Justice Mallong Peter of the Federal High Court, Kaduna.
He was convicted of obtaining money by false pretence to the tune of N6,100, 000 (six million one hundred thousand naira) and operating an illegal bureau de change.
The convict is presently at the custody of the Kaduna zonal office of EFCC.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Ekiti state government said that a 75-year-old woman died of coronavirus-related complications in the state.
It was reported that this was confirmed by the state government on the evening of Thursday, May 21, in a thread of tweets.
According to the report, with the new fatality, the number of COVID-19 deaths has increased to two in the state.
In another report, following revenue pressures resulting from coronavirus pandemic, the Lagos state government announced a slash of its 2020 budget.
The total expenditure for the year 2020 is now N920.5 billion, less by N248 billion from the N1.68 trillion it had budgeted.
The state’s commissioner for economic planning and budget, Sam Egube, who announced this on the evening of Thursday, May 21, stated that the new figures would be presented to the House of Assembly for approval soon.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Coronavirus: Is it time to reopen churches, mosques? | - on Legit TV