- By Saturday, May 23, residents in Kogi will know who is the rightful governor of the state
- This is as the battle between the PDP governorship candidate in the state, Musa Wada and Governor Yahaya Bello will end on Saturday
- This was revealed by the Kogi state governorship election petition tribunal in Abuja
The battle between Musa Wada, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in Kogi and Governor Yahaya Bello will be decided upon on Saturday, May 23.
The date was fixed by the Kogi state governorship election petition tribunal sitting in Abuja, PM News reports.
Going by a letter signed by the secretary of the tribunal, Umar Abubakar, the trial will begin at 10am on Saturday.
Abubakar disclosed that the hearing of the case by the tribunal will take place at the Federal High Court headquarters, Maitama Abuja.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Governor Bello had dismissed claims by the director-general of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, that states which were yet to record cases of COVID-19 are either negligent in testing and tracing or actively hiding the disease within their territories.
The Kogi government in a statement on Wednesday, April 29, said the state being one of the only three states in the country yet to record any case of COVID-19 found the comments by the NCDC DG distressing.
The governor in a statement through Kingsley Fanwo, the commissioner of information, said the self-assessment app hosted at kogicovid19.gov.ng around the NCDC was functioning.
“In fact, we built our self-assessment app hosted at kogicovid19.gov.ng around the NCDC’s checklist for ‘suspected and high risk’ cases and as at last week it has been visited nearly 200,000 times with over 14,000 completed self-assessments out of which only about 60 presented cause for further investigation which then failed to meet the COVID-19 spectrum," the statement read.
The commissioner said the state had not erred in any way to deserve such comments from the NCDC.
He said Kogi state had religiously followed all the NCDC and World Health Organisation (WHO) COVID-19 advisories, both for identifying cases and preventing spread.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Coronavirus: The US govt gave me over 400k to stay at home - Nigerian in US - Legit TV