- Adrian Mariappa is one of the Watford stars who contracted coronavirus
- The 33-year-old knew about his new status after preparing for Premier League return
- There are five others who also tested positive for the deadly virus
Watford defender Adrian Mariappa has disclosed that he was shocked after learning he tested positive to deadly coronavirus during the first wave of Premier League testing.
The 33-year-old ensured he followed all the guidelines laid down by the government to avoid contracting or spreading the virus. He further stated that he did not show symptoms of the infection.
He was not the only one who tested positive for COVID-19 as two other non-playing staff members also have the virus.
The EPL star told the Telegraph: "Ever since I got my positive result back on Tuesday, I’ve been scratching my head to try to work out how I might have got coronavirus.
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
"It was a big surprise because I haven’t really left the house, apart from some exercise and the odd walk with the kids. I’ve mainly just been homeschooling and keeping fit.
"My lifestyle is very quiet, certainly no parties or going out or anything, so I really don’t know how I got it.
"Like most people, we’ve been having more deliveries of food and things, so maybe that’s one way, and my partner has been to the supermarket a few times.”
The Jamaican was already gearing up for the return of the Premier League next month with a plan to return to training.
SunSport reports that he will be subjected to at least seven days of isolation before another he could undergo another test.
He continued: "The club doctor called to tell me and, to be honest, I did ask whether it could be 100 percent accurate or whether my results could have got muddled up.
"Maybe if I had been displaying any symptoms then it might have made sense. But in my head it wasn’t adding up.
“But I’ve not had any symptoms and I’ve felt as fit as ever, probably fitter because I’ve been working really hard. I’ve been following my training program and I’ve not felt out of breath or ill, or anything.
He added: "I live with three of my children, who are five, nine and 11, and my partner and, obviously, now I’m a bit worried about them.
“They are all fine and are not showing any symptoms, but you can’t help but think about it and keep your distance once you know you’ve tested positive. We’ll have to see whether I can get them tested.”
Legit.ng earlier reported that Watford have confirmed that three members of the club have tested positive for the dreaded coronavirus after tests were carried out.
The club which made the announcement on their website, although the individuals who contracted the infection were not named.
In a statement on the club’s website, Watford announced that one player and two members of the backroom staff returned positive result after test were carried out.
The affected individuals will now proceed to a seven-day self-isolation in line with the Premier League guidelines in containing the pandemic.
What Messi told me at the World Cup - Vincent Enyeama | Legit TV