Senate tells FG to stop planned electricity tariff increase

Senate tells FG to stop planned electricity tariff increase

- The Nigerian Senate has called on the federal ministry of power to halt the planned electricity tariff increase

- The legislators said it is disappointing that the power supply in the country is poor despite the money spent on the sector

- Senate disclosed that it will investigate the huge sums of money spent so on the power sector

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Nigerian Senate has called on the federal ministry of power to halt the planned electricity tariff increase which is expected to commence in July 2020.

The upper chamber during plenary on Tuesday, May 19, pointed out that the planned increase will compound the hardship Nigerians are facing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Vanguard reports.

Senate tells FG to stop planned electricity tariff increase

The lawmakers complained about the poor power supply in Nigeria. Photo credits: Nigerian Senate/VON
Source: UGC

During a debate on a motion titled, power sector recovery plan and the impact of COVID- 19 pandemic, the Senate president, Ahmad Lawan, said that it is disappointing that power supply in the country is poor despite the huge sums of money spent so far on the sector.

How lockdown affected payment of Nigerian military - FG issues explanation

He said the Senate will investigate the huge sums of money spent so far to improve the power sector without adequate results.

Lawan said Nigeria should consider canceling the privatisation process completely so that the country does not suffer lack of power for another 10 years.

“We expected efficiency and something better. DISCOS have no capacity to supply us power. We shouldn’t continue to give them money. They’re private businesses. We need to review this whole thing. Something is wrong,” he said.

Meanwhile, the federal government has fired Usman Gur Mohammed as the managing director of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).

President Muhammadu Buhari approved of the sack after the minister of power, Engineer Sale Mamman recommended the reorganization of TCN.

The minister in a statement sent to journalists on Tuesday, May 19 and signed by his spokesman, Aaron Artimas, said the sack of Mohammed takes place with immediate effect.

Covid-19: Fayose calls for reduction in data, cable tariffs

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

According to the statement, one Sule Abdulaziz has been appointed to replace the former TCN boss in an acting capacity.

The minister also confirmed the appointment of four directors who have been on acting position in the company for some time. He reiterated that all the changes and appointments were approved by the president.

In another news report, participants at an online workshop organised to review key issues that require urgent reforms in the oil and gas industry amid the COVID-19 pandemic have called for accelerated passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB).

The workshop organised by the Centre for Transparency Advocacy (CTA) drew participants from various civil society groups as well as the media.

In a communique signed by CTA executive director, Ms Faith Nwadishi, the participants stressed that they are hopeful that the reform actions suggested during the workshop if taken, could send a strong positive signal to the world, and also ensure that the oil and gas industry is properly positioned to stimulate a rapid recovery of the Nigerian economy in the post-COVID-19 period.

FG finally gives details of how coronavirus will affect 2020 budget

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Nigerian Electricity Crisis Explained | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel