Coronavirus: Owner of private businesses oppose fresh lockdown

Coronavirus: Owner of private businesses oppose fresh lockdown

- NLC and Organised Private Sector are opposed to another lockdown by President Muhammadu Buhari

- NLC and OPS made their position known amid fear that the country may go on another lockdown due to spike in Covid-19 cases

- The bodies submitted that another lockdown will have a damaging consequence on the economy of the country

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed

As the presidency dusted off the report that President Muhammadu Buhari will address the country in a nation-wide broadcast on Monday, May 18, the owners of private economy and labours under the aegis of Organised Private Sector (OPS) have raised an eyebrow against another lockdown.

Legit.ng notes that the president eased the lockdown measures imposed on Lagos, Abuja and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja beginning from Saturday, May 2, following an outcry by Nigerians.

CBN, NNPC have agreed to fund returnees’ feeding, accommodation during their isolation - FG reveals

Addressing Nigerians on Monday, April 27, after the end of a one-month lockdown, President Buhari stated that the decision was in line with the recommendations of the PTF, various federal government committees and the Nigeria Governors' Forum.

But the ease of the lockdown did not go planned as Nigerians shunned the measures attached, leading to the spike in the number of coronavirus cases nationwide.

On Sunday, May 17, the Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 338 new cases of the novel coronavirus in the country, bringing total cases to 5959.

Coronavirus: Owner of private businesses oppose fresh lockdown as Buhari addresses Nigerians

Coronavirus: Owner of private businesses oppose fresh lockdown as Buhari addresses Nigerians.
Source: UGC

Amid mounting scare the country may go on another lockdown due to spike in Covid-19 cases, Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) said another lockdown is retrogressive and will have a devastating consequence on the economy.

According to This Day, the position was made known by the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Assembly (NECA), the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) and the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce.

Covid-19: Ganduje tackles El-Rufai, other northern governors, says almajiri kids need care not noise making

Others who opposed another lockdown include Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA) and a professor of Financial Economics and director of the Centre for Economic Policy Analysis and Research, University of Lagos, Ndubisi Nwokoma.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that the federal government had earlier warned Nigerians that if they failed to adhere to safety precautions, the country would be on lockdown again.

This was revealed during the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Monday, May 4.

The director-general of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, lamented that many banks flouted the NCDC’s guideline for social distancing, infection prevention and control.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Coronavirus: Ease of lockdown is best for us - Nigerians | Legit TV

Coronavirus: Lockdown Nigeria for two months - Sagay tells Buhari

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel