2 Muslim groups clash over imamship in Kogi, 8 injured

2 Muslim groups clash over imamship in Kogi, 8 injured

- The struggle between two Muslim sects for who is rightfully the Imam of Okene central mosque in Kogi turned violent on Friday, May 15

- Residents in the area disclosed to journalists that about eight persons were seriously injured

- However, Governor Yahaya Bello has called for a meeting between the rival groups for settlement

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

There was a serious clash between two Muslim sects (Tijaniyya and Sunni) in the Okene area of Kogi state on Friday, May 15, that left about eight persons injured.

Locals in the area informed journalists that the age-long clash between the groups was rekindled at the Okene central mosque on Friday when a Sunni member, one Malam Bello Hussaini described Sheik Salihu Abere as an acting chief imam whereas he has been presiding over the mosque.

Breaking: Gunmen attack another Adamawa community

Hussaini's remark was said to have annoyed the Tijaniyya group who asked for an apology from him, Daily Trust reports.

The matter eventually turned violent with many faithful fleeing the scene for safety while about eight Sunni members were injured, according to Hussaini.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

2 Muslim groups clash over imamship in Kogi, 8 injured

The matter eventually turned violent with many faithful fleeing the scene for safety while about eight Sunni members injured according to Hussaini.
Source: Twitter

It was gathered that Governor Yahaya Bello has summoned the Ohinoyi of Ebiraland alongside some prominent traditional and religious figures in the district with a view to resolve the issue amicably.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Governor Bello had dismissed claims by the director-general of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, that states which were yet to record cases of COVID-19 were either negligent in testing and tracing or actively hiding the disease within their territories.

The Kogi government in a statement on Wednesday, April 29, said the state being one of the only three states in the country yet to record any case of COVID-19 found the comments by the NCDC DG distressing.

Breaking: Many people feared killed over pig in Adamawa

The governor in a statement through Kingsley Fanwo, the commissioner of information, said the self-assessment app hosted at kogicovid19.gov.ng around the NCDC was functioning.

“In fact, we built our self-assessment app hosted at kogicovid19.gov.ng around the NCDC’s checklist for ‘suspected and high risk’ cases and as at last week it has been visited nearly 200,000 times with over 14,000 completed self-assessments out of which only about 60 presented cause for further investigation which then failed to meet the COVID-19 spectrum," the statement read.

The commissioner said the state had not erred in any way to deserve such comments from the NCDC. He said Kogi state had religiously followed all the NCDC and World Health Organisation (WHO) COVID-19 advisories, both for identifying cases and preventing spread.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.

Coronavirus: The US govt gave me over 400k to stay at home - Nigerian in US - Legit TV

Kaduna-based group issues warning to bandits after recent attack

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel