- A driver who unilaterally attended to an unkempt person that was evacuated with a COVID-19 response ambulance has been sacked
- His sack was ordered by the governor of the state, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq
- The governor gave the order on Wednesday, May 13, after a footage went viral on social media in which the unkempt man was being evacuated
Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara state has ordered the sack of a government driver that unilaterally attended to an unkempt person who was evacuated with a COVID-19 response ambulance in Ilorin.
The governor, who gave the order on Wednesday, May 13, also directed the issuance of queries to top officials of the state Ministry of Health for failing to act with necessary caution and expertise in the handling of the incident that was recorded in a video footage that has since gone viral.
The disclosure was made by the governor's chief press secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye.
He said: “The governor totally condemns the shoddy handling of the gentleman who was clearly going through a hard time.
“He has directed that the driver be fired immediately. As the investigation revealed, the driver failed to heed clear directive not to take any action until the Rapid Response Team (RRT) arrives the scene. He evacuated the gentleman with the help of members of the public without waiting for the arrival of the RRT."
Ajakaye said the governor also directed that members of the RRT be queried and that other steps are being taken to ensure that such incident does not repeat itself.
He added: "Involving just anybody in the evacuation of a suspected case, as was seen in the footage, was a clear and dangerous violation of COVID-19 safety protocols.
"The government equally finds it quite distasteful and unacceptable that the driver, who had long been involved in such operations, made unethical comments to somebody in distress.
"That incident was avoidable, and we sincerely apologise to the gentleman and to the people of Kwara State for the embarrassing development. We assure them this will not happen again."
Legit.ng previously reported that a video emerged in which a suspected COVID-19 patient was being evacuated in Kwara by some men working with the state COVID-19 response.
The man that was being evacuated looked sick and unkempt and the men who had no Personal Protective Equipment on (PPE) wheeled him into the ambulance.
Coronavirus: Nigerian man says only rich men can contract the deadly virus | Legit TV