- Cevher Toktas confessed he 'smothered' his son, Kasim, to death while in hospital
- Toktas is said to have surrendered to the police days after his son death which was previously reported to have been as a result of COVID-19
- Kasim's remains has since been exhumed for a fresh autopsy as the father awaits trial
Turkish footballer Cevher Toktas has finally opened up on the circumstances that led to the tragic death of his five-year-old son.
Toktas had on Thursday, April 23, taken his son Kasim to hospital with a cough and high fever, and the two had to be quarantined as they evidenced coronavirus symptoms.
Goal.com records the 33-year-old would later call in the doctors saying his son was having breathing challenges.
The young boy was subsequently put under intensive care unit but later tragically died in what was ruled as a a result of COVID-19.
However, Toktas has now revealed he had a hand in his son's death, having suffocated him with a pillow.
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The centre-back reportedly handed himself to Turkish authorities, claiming he murdered his own son because he never loved him.
“I pressed a pillow on my son who was lying on his back. For 15 minutes, I pressed down on the pillow without lifting it up. My son was struggling during that time. After he stopped moving, I lifted the pillow. Then I yelled for doctors to help to draw any suspicions away from me," n official statement by Toktas, provided by the Bursa Office of the Prosecutor records.
“I never loved my younger son after he was born. I don’t know why I don’t love him. The sole reason why I killed him that day is because I didn’t like him. I don’t have any mental issues," the statement continued.
Toktas said he surrendered himself to the police because he had regretted his actions.
The deceased's remains have since been exhumed for a new autopsy as the football player awaits trial.
Until the incident, Toktas had been turning out for Turkish lower-tier side Bursa Yildirmspor.
He previously played in Turkey top-flight for just one season when he was attached with Hacettepe SK.
Earlier, Legit.ng had reported how curtains fell on renowned former French striker and coach Philippe Redon with his death being announced on Tuesday, May 12, at age of 69.
Redon turned out for French sides Rennes, Bordeaux, FC Metz, Saint-Etienne and Paris Saint-Germain during his active playing days.
What I plan to do to Oliseh - Vincent Enyeama | Legit TV