- Troops of the Nigerian Army have recorded another victory against the Boko Haram group as nine insurgents were killed on Wednesday
- The troops also recovered two gun trucks mounted with anti-aircraft guns during the gun battle in Borno state
- The Army said two soldiers were slightly wounded while the situation has been normalised in the area
The Nigerian Army has said its troops killed nine Boko Haram insurgents in Mainok, Borno state, in a fresh gun battle on Wednesday, March 13.
Sagir Musa, the spokesperson of the army, said in a statement that gun trucks were also recovered from the insurgents while two soldiers were slightly injured, The Cable reports.
The statement reads partly: “Troops of Sector 1, Operation LAFIYA DOLE have successfully staged an ambush at identified Boko Haram terrorists crossing point at Mainok-Jakana axis in Kaga local government area of Borno state at about 1830 hours on the 13th of May 2020."
The statement added that two gun trucks were recovered from the insurgents while two soldiers sustained minor injuries.
“Situation in the area has been normalised,” the statement concluded.
Legit.ng had earlier reported that troops of the Nigerian Army stationed in Mainok, Borno state, were in a gunfight with suspected Boko Haram insurgents.
The insurgents had reportedly entered the village around 7pm on Wednesday, shooting sporadically.
“They went straight to the military base and for about an hour now, they have been in a gunfight with the troops,” an eye witness reportedly said.
In a related development, the Africa Women Arise for Change Network (AWACN) has hailed the Nigerian military’s clearance operation against Boko Haram terrorists within the Timbuktu triangle.
According to the women's network, the operations of the army serve as, the sole bright spot in an utterly gloomy Coronavirus (COVID-19) season.
In a statement on Wednesday, May 6, AWACN said the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole have gladdened the hearts of African women with its recent onslaught on the fleeing terrorists.
The troops led by chief of army staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, recorded tremendous success over the insurgents with the most recent exterminating 134.
The president of the network, Nkechi Odoma, expressed delight with the COAS and the troops for the magnificent feat amidst the rampaging coronavirus that has consumed nearly 300,000 lives worldwide.
In another report, the Borno state government has suspended its lockdown directive indefinitely.
The state government has also relaxed the ban on religious gatherings but called for strict guidelines on maintaining physical distancing in mosques and churches.
Legit.ng gathers, however, that the ban on Eid prayers are still in force. Umar Kadafur, deputy governor and chairman of the state COVID-19 response committee, made this known in a statement.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!