Coronavirus: US accuses China of hacking Covid-19 research

Coronavirus: US accuses China of hacking Covid-19 research

- The United States has accused China of attempting to hack organisations researching on the global Covid-19 pandemic

- The FBI and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued a warning to healthcare, pharmaceutical and research sectors working on Covid-19 to beware of hackers

- President Trump had earlier referred to China's alleged cyber-activities, saying the US is watching closely

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The United States has accused China-linked hackers of targeting organisations that are researching the Covid-19 pandemic.

BBC reports that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said it had seen hacking attempts on US groups researching vaccines, treatments and testing which are traced to China.

Legit.ng gathers that the FBI and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued a joint warning on Wednesday, May 13, over the development.

COVID-19 scandal as WHO opens up on alleged phone call between its DG and Chinese president Xi Jinping
Coronavirus: US accuses China of hacking Covid-19 research

US accuses China of hacking coronavirus research
Source: UGC

The government departments warned that "healthcare, pharmaceutical and research sectors working on Covid-19 response should all be aware they are prime targets" of hackers.

The cyber-thieves had "been observed attempting to identify and illicitly obtain valuable intellectual property and public health data" on treating the coronavirus, the statement added.

President Donald Trump had on Monday, May 11, referred to China's alleged cyber-activities.

"What else is new with China? I'm not happy with China, could have stopped it at the source, should have," he said.

"Now you're telling me they're hacking. What else is new? We're watching very closely."

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that President Trump suggested that the United States could seek damages from China over the COVID-19 outbreak.

The US president made the suggestion on Monday morning, April 27 at a press briefing.

Breaking: Nigeria approaching difficult response era over coronavirus - FG

Trump said his administration was conducting serious investigations into Beijing’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak.

The US president noted that his administration believes that China could have stopped COVID-19 from spreading globally.

In another report, President Trump on Tuesday, April 28, called President Muhammadu Buhari to express solidarity with Nigeria over the COVID-19 pandemic.

The minister of information, Lai Mohammed, at a briefing in Abuja said the US president promised to send across ventilators to Nigeria.

A presidential aide, Tolu Ogulesi also disclosed that the conversation between both leaders focused on Nigeria’s COVID-19 response.

He said the telephone call occurred at the request of President Trump.

In another news report, the Nigerian presidency has ordered that the large number of food trucks that are being delayed at various checkpoints around the country be allowed passage.

Various curfews and lockdown in different states have affected delivery trucks passage compelling the presidential directive.

COVID-19: Nigeria in danger of food insecurity, farmers tell FG

A statement by the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Garba Shehu on Tuesday, April 28, stated that the restrictions of movement as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic do not apply to vehicles transporting essential commodities, such as food.

Part of the statement read: “The country cannot afford a situation where agricultural products are being left to rot in trucks held at various checkpoints when millions of Nigerians across the country need food. COVID-19 or no COVID-19, Nigerians need to eat."

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Coronavirus: The US govt gave me over 400k to stay at home - Nigerian in US on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel