An Army captain has been kidnapped in Akure
The kidnapped soldier has been taken to a forest at Ibilo
According to report, the criminals have demanded a ransom of N20 million
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
As insecurity continues to grow in the country, an Army captain attached to the Nigerian Army 32 artillery brigade has been kidnapped by criminals.
The kidnapping incident occurred along Kabba-Auga Akoko expressway in Akoko north-east local government area of Ondo state on Wednesday, May 13.
According to The Cable, the officer, simply identified as D Gana, was on his way from Abuja.
He was taken to a forest at Ibilo, the boundary between Ondo and Edo states.
The incident was confirmed by Ayorinde Omojokun, spokesman of the brigade in Akure.
Also Tee-Leo Ikoro, public relations officer of Ondo police command, confirmed the abduction.
He said the victim was taken into a nearby bush and the abductors allowed him to call a relation who informed the Ikare-Akoko division of the police.
“Unfortunately, before a team of police detectives got to the area, he had been moved away from the place, but his car was recovered by our men,” Ikoro said.
However, the kidnappers have reportedly demanded N20 million as ransom.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that a human rights researcher, Terrence Kuanum has said that Nigeria's victory against Boko Haram insurgents has come to stay since the coordination of army operations by the chief of army staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai.
Kuanum, an author of several books described recent victories by Nigerian troops in the Lake Chad Region as a positive sign that the recorded success over the insurgents will be permanent.
Speaking in Abuja on Friday, May 8, Kuanum said the last two months have seen the steady progression in the offensive being led by General Buratai against the terrorists.
He said the winnings all point to the direction of permanent victory as the terrorists are now in disarray.
Kuanum said for the 11 years he has been following the activities of Boko Haram terrorists and the efforts of the Nigerian and other governments to stop them, he has not seen a better coordinated and result yielding efforts like the current one.
The renowned researcher said: "I had the opportunity of following recent happenings in the Northeast and I must say this is an opportunity for Nigerians to feel proud as there is every indication that the war against the Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists would soon be over permanently."
Further reviewing the steps taken by the army chief in recent operations against the terrorists, Kuanum said having a back-to-back victory show insurgents have been overwhelmed and are on the verge of surrendering.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
BUSTED: I was without clothes when they came to arrest us - lady cries out | - on Legit TV